Stratford-upon-Avon, England Historic Sites and Landmarks

337
results
filter by keyword(s)
Page 1 of 29
Stratford-upon-Avon ChurchStratford-upon-Avon Church
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Picturesquely located on the wooded banks of the River Avon, Holy Trinity Church in Stratford-upon-Avon is best known as the parish church and burial place of William Shakespeare. It also has some fine Gothic architecture, stained glass and monuments.

The Almshouses
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Row of 22 almshouses with one attached to rear. 1427-8, bay to left end (No.1) slightly earlier; much altered in C16; restored 1892; restored, modernised and extended to rear 1982-4 by Badger, Harrison and Cross. For the Guild of the Holy Trinity.

Guildhall, King Edward VI Grammar School
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET. Guildhall, now school, incorporating slightly earlier house to rear. c1417, bay to left end slightly later.

Hall's Croft and Attached Garden Wall
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Town house now museum and club and attached wall. Early C16 with c1600 addition to right; C19 and C20 alterations and 1920s and 1950s restorations. Timber-frame with plaster infill on coursed rubble plinth; tile roof with stone and brick stacks.

Church of Holy Trinity
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Church; collegiate status from 1415 to 1547. Anglo-Saxon origins; possibly C12 work in early C13 tower, remodelled in early C14; early C13 transepts; early to mid C14 nave arcades and aisles; 1580s chancel; 1590s nave clerestory and north porch; 1763 spire by W Hiorn of Warwick; restored by William Butterfield, 1850s; by Bodley and Garner, 1888-92 and 1898. MATERIALS: squared stone with ashlar dressings; C15 work ashlar; lead roofs.

Guild Chapel of Holy Cross
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET. Guild chapel. C13 chancel with alterations of c1450; nave and tower c1490ff; restored 1804, roofs rebuilt; restored and refurnished 1950s by S Dykes-Bower.

Shakespeare's Birthplace
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Town house, now museum. Late C15 and late C16, severely restored 1858, following drawing of 1769. Timber-frame and with plaster infill; rubble plinth; tile roof with rubble stacks.

Clopton Bridge and Attached Former Toll House
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Bridge. c1484 with C16 and C17 repairs; widened and toll house built 1814; footway added 1827; later parapets. For Sir Hugh Clopton; footway by J Nicolls, made by the Eagle Foundry, Birmingham.

Harvard House
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

House. C15; front, dated 1596, largely rebuilt after fire of 1595, when rear extended; C18 and C19 rear additions; restored 1905-9, for Marie Corelli and Everard Morris, and 1980s; being extensively restored April 1991. Timber-frame with plaster infill on rubble plinth; tile roof with rear brick stacks.

Anne Hathaway's Cottage
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Farmhouse, now museum. C15 or earlier with C16 alterations; c1600 wing to left end and C17 wing to right end; left wing damaged by fire in 1969. Timber-frame with brick and plaster infill on limestone plinth; thatch roof, higher to left wing, with brick stacks.

Nash's House (New Place Museum)
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, UK

Town house now museum. c1600 front rebuilt in 1912. Timber-frame with plaster and brick infill on rubble plinth; tile roofs with rubble and brick stacks.