Comments

We deeply value your comments on historic places, as they record the precious memories, personal connections, and individual experiences that are rarely preserved in formal publications. We try to reply to most of them.

• Comment by Timothy Harold Turner on Stanhope Court Hotel, London, London, England, UK on February 22, 2024

I am looking for a hotel I stayed at back in 1983 or 1984 . It was called the Stanhope Court hotel. It was across from some kind of a park.

• Comment by Gayle Buckley on Jonesville Cemetery, Jonesville, Saratoga, New York, USA on February 20, 2024

please advise contact for burial site arrangement

• Comment by Brian Schwartz on James Delos Hill House, Montpelier, Williams County, Ohio, USA on February 16, 2024

I remember going to my Aunt's house and everything in her kitchen was pink!

• Comment by Fred Vereen, Jr on Stokely-Van Camp Industrial Complex, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, USA on February 16, 2024

I live in Lawrence Township, New Jersey 08648.
    My father and another gentleman did truck farming here in Lawrence and grew tomatoes on land where the Lawrence Middle School is located. This was back in the late 1940's. I remember picking the tomatoes and later riding in the truck when they took them to Stokely Van Camp to sell.
    There was always a line of trucks loaded with tomatoes.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Visit report by Holly Hayes [admin] on Oregon State Forester's Office Building, Salem, Marion County, Oregon, USA on February 6, 2024

I visited the Oregon State Forester's Office last weekend and I loved it. It's located in a not-lovely part of town on a busy road (across from the Oregon State Penitentiary), but as soon as I stepped on the property I felt like I was in a state park.

It has beautiful grounds with green lawns, squirrels, ducks, trees (of course), and a wide section of Mill Creek curving through it. Two of the buildings were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s in the same style as park lodges, adding to the parklike effect. There is also a contemporary building that is very different in style but fits in nicely.

The historic Forester's Office building is very cool, made from a mix of natural wood panels, park-ranger-green shingles, and warm-hued stones. Don't miss the abstract tree design in the stone wall in front of the building, the vertical stones over the window left of the entrance, and the National Register plaque on the porch. Cross the historic (1929) bridge over the creek for good views.

This building is not open to the public, but the smaller historic building nearby houses a museum. It's open about once a week and by appointment.

While wandering the grounds, we were greeted by a security guard, who turned out to be a fount of valuable information and quirky stories. He said to come back in early May when the purple camas lilies cover the ground on the other side of the creek. He asked if we knew about the underground tours in Salem - we didn't and that sounds great!

He told us that he loves his job and takes care of about nine cats that visit the property, feeding them and protecting them from hungry predators - his coworkers call him "Cusses at Coyotes," in the spirit of the more famous Dances with Wolves. He said the cats help control rodents on the property - and did we know that Disneyland sends cats out on their properties at night for that purpose? He said he once saw a beaver in Mill Creek, a surprisingly rare sight given that Oregon is the Beaver State (yep, that's true). He saw a large rodent in the water one night, but they are usually nutria, so he shined his flashlight down from the bridge to check... hooray, a big paddle tail!

During my visit, I saw no water-based rodents but did spot a duck that was different than our common mallards, with a very interesting white head and bright eyes. He and his lady friend landed in the creek near me, then rode the rapids downstream. I'd like to think it was just for fun.

• Comment by charles sedgwick on Judge James Hanway House, Lane, Franklin County, Kansas, USA on February 6, 2024

James hanway was my grandmothers grandfather Her name was Bernice Hanway Timmons who married by grandfather Joseph Mallow Timmons- the parents of my Mother Helen Timmons Sedgwick

• Comment by Kevin Schwan on Celora Stoddard/Lon Harmon House, Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, USA on February 1, 2024

From the early 50's to the 80's the Stoddard Harmon house was the office for Western farm management co. A premier farm and ranch management group. The Stewart was actually the home of a small car sales lot that sold Fancy cars like Rolls Royce.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Forge Cottage, Plaxtol, Kent, England, UK on January 31, 2024

Wow, what amazing memories! Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

• Comment by Alastair Barnett on Forge Cottage, Plaxtol, Kent, England, UK on January 30, 2024

When I was 25, I lived and worked at the Forge Restaurant in Plaxtol. Now, at 86, residing in Canada, I look back to those years as the happiest days of my youth. I was one of seven young men who lived together in complete harmony. Residing in a 400-year-old converted blacksmith shop in one of England's most beautiful villages was a privilege. Every Friday night, a local blacksmith fired up the Forge and hammered miniature horseshoes for our diners. Sadly, I have no photographs of that time as digital cameras had not yet been invented. However, I have a demitasse coffee cup and a miniature horseshoe that serve as mementoes of my stay. Now and then, I search the internet for images of the Forge as it was then, and it brings back happy memories. In 1964, I eventually left the Forge with a companion from the restaurant to immigrate to the USA.

It was in the Forge, in 1963, that I sadly informed some visiting American guests about the assassination of their President, JFK. Best Wishes, Alastair Barnett

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on January 31, 2024

Wow, what amazing memories! Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Comment by Holly Hayes [admin] on Riverside Power Station (Plant Riverside District), Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, USA on January 29, 2024

I was impressed by this complex, which preserves a good amount of the old power plant while creating cool modern spaces for a hotel, restaurants, bars, and even a museum containing beautiful rocks and a huge dinosaur skeleton. I recommend wandering around and checking out the rooftop bars Electric Moon (which has a slide for adults!) and the chic Myrtle & Rose. Both of them have wonderful views of the river.

• Comment by DR Donald CARTER on Peck, Stow & Wilcox Factory, Southington, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA on January 25, 2024

I need your phone number

• Comment by Sue Taylor on Cardross, Brook's Road, Moorpark House, Cardross, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, UK on January 21, 2024

Is it possible to visit Moorepark? My great grandfather John Murray is David Murray’s brother. My Grandfather corresponded with his cousin Eunice Murray. I am visiting Scotland in Sept 2024 from Australia. Thank you to anyone who can provide any information.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Comment by Holly Hayes [admin] on Second Simpson Cottage (1868 Court St NE), Salem, Marion County, Oregon, USA on January 19, 2024

This colorful little cottage is absolutely adorable and one of my favorites in the district. It is located at the cozy east end of Court Street, near a footbridge over Mill Creek. The free-standing lantern in the front yard, especially with snow on the ground, gives it a delightful Narnia-like atmosphere.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Swope-Dudderar House and Mill Site, Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky, USA on January 17, 2024

Thank you for your comment and correction! I've updated the coordinates.

• Correction by Adam Len Compton on Swope-Dudderar House and Mill Site, Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky, USA on January 17, 2024

I live in the Swope-Dudderar House and the remains of the Mill Site are a couple hundred feet from the house. The gps location provided here is incorrect. The correct location is 37.5575308, -84.6000179

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on January 17, 2024

Thank you for your comment and correction! I've updated the coordinates.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Visit report by Holly Hayes [admin] on Elizabeth Watt House (1568 Chemeketa St NE), Salem, Marion County, Oregon, USA on January 17, 2024

I visited this house yesterday as part of a beautiful snowy walk in the historic district. I was struck by its simple elegance and thought it must be quite old. While I was admiring it, I was lucky that the owner, Scott, happened to come outside. We had a wonderful chat about his house, our experiences living in Salem, his time in Salem's sister city in Japan, the weather in Santa Fe, and more.

Scott has lived in the Elizabeth Watt House for around 20 years and loves it. The neighborhood is really nice, too, with great people. He said the previous owner took good care of it and some original interior details still survive, including picture rails. But he added that the National Register really only cares about the exterior.

He mentioned that the house on a corner nearby belonged to another Watt family member, who made windows and doors out of his mill on Mill Creek - it's believed that the windows in the Elizabeth Watt House were made by him.

The house was painted gray when he moved in, but one day he passed the Lewisburg Grange (near Corvallis) and found its white-on-white paint very striking. Then he noticed that the Jason Lee House in Salem, which is significantly older but has a similar look, was also painted that way... that sealed his decision. I think it looks wonderful and told him so. The deep red shade he painted the carriage house (which predates the house!) was inspired by the Mission Mill.

Scott said he has received a lot of support in restoring his house, including a 15-year tax freeze for each National Register listing, and an anonymous benefactor who provides a $1000 matching donation to historic house preservation every year.

We talked about Salem's City Hall, which he said is very underrated. I admitted that I used to hate it, thinking it looked like an ugly parking garage. But in the last few years I've began to appreciate Brutalism and, more importantly, visited the building - I now think it has a very cool and interesting design and could be so much better with some much-needed renovation. Scott mentioned how much he loves the library (next door to City Hall), especially after its recent remodel. He said there used to be a cafe in the basement that always smelled like grilled cheese. That sounds amazing!

Than

• Memory by rick schillinger (rschillinger@live.com) on Ferguson School Central School, Ferguson, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA on January 6, 2024

Does anyone know a Glen Brawley? They were our neighbors back in the 50s when I attended Central School. I guess his dad became Mayor? I mowed their lawn for 50 cents

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Ferguson School Central School, Ferguson, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA on January 9, 2024

Thank you for sharing your memories and questions!

• Memory by Rick Schillinger on Ferguson School Central School, Ferguson, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA on January 6, 2024

I attended Central school kindergarden - 4th grade,53-56. They were very advanced and pushed me from 2nd to 4th grade in one year.I still have the report card. When we moved to California, they said I was still ahead and when I entered 5th grade, I already knew the material. We lived across from the Football field behind the high school. What was the name of that HS? We swam in the summer and made rafts for that lake, was it Wabash?

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on January 9, 2024

Thank you for sharing your memories and questions!

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Oak Cottage, Chartridge, Buckinghamshire, England, UK on January 6, 2024

Thank you for sharing your memories, Virginia!

• Memory by Virginia McCrae (vbmccrae@gmail.com) on Oak Cottage, Chartridge, Buckinghamshire, England, UK on January 6, 2024

My husband Douglas and I lived in Oak Cottage from about November 1978 to September 1979. We have fond memories of cows in the back yard; the hunt going up the lane; coal fires; the Bell. The gardens were unkempt, but there were beautiful flowers growing. One day I'd pick all pink flowers; the next time all yellow flowers; and so on. The plumbing was primitive. No one in the village or the pub ever spoke to us.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on January 6, 2024

Thank you for sharing your memories, Virginia!

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on US Spruce Production Railroad XII, Spur 5, Yachats, Lincoln County, Oregon, USA on January 5, 2024

Thank you for your comment! The National Register Nomination Form for this site contains some maps; I've just uploaded it here. I've also added coordinates to our entry, which generated an aerial view, but for now only trees are visible.

• Visit report by Shannon Nill on US Spruce Production Railroad XII, Spur 5, Yachats, Lincoln County, Oregon, USA on January 2, 2024

We recently purchased the 21 acre Big Creek Sea Ranch property where this Yachats Spur 5 RR Line came through. The pilings from the RR Bridge over Big Creek are still there. If anyone has an aerial photo or map, please share it.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on January 5, 2024

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Josiah Crudup House, Kittrell, Vance County, North Carolina, USA on January 5, 2024

How cool! Thank you for sharing your connection.

• Memory by Rashad Payne (rashadpayne33@gmail.com) on Josiah Crudup House, Kittrell, Vance County, North Carolina, USA on December 31, 2023

My 3rd great grandfather lived in with Josiah Crudup......Jim kittrell was a slave and in 1867 Rev Crudup wrote a letter the thr Freedom Bureau on my great grandfather behalf.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on January 5, 2024

How cool! Thank you for sharing your connection.

• Memory by Ann L Carpenter on William E. Higginbotham Elementary School, Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, USA on December 22, 2023

I was a student at Higginbotham Elementary School from Kindergarten to the Sixth Grade. I absolutely loved this school. I believe I started the kindergarten in 1967. God is Good ❤️

• profile image of Holly Hayes Comment by Holly Hayes [admin] on Hampton Court Palace, London, London, England, UK on December 21, 2023

I highly recommend a visit to Hampton Court Palace if you have time while visiting London. It's an short train ride out of the city and a pleasant walk from Hampton Court Station to the palace. I loved the different eras represented in the art and architecture, primarily Tudor Gothic and English Baroque.

You could and should spend all day here, given the size of the palace and the extensive gardens. Food is available in a cafe inside. When I visited in 2012, I managed it in just over two hours, including the walk from the station and a quick break for lunch. I saw most of the palace, but at a fairly fast pace, and only a little bit of the beautiful gardens. I had to be back in London in time to see what I could see at the premiere of Skyfall at the Royal Albert Theatre!

• Question by Ed Moncus on Bodenham Mill, Pulaski, Giles, Tennessee, USA on December 17, 2023

I would like to visit this mill, and go inside. Would that be possible? I have a small grist mill, and always looking for ideals from millers that made things happen!! Please contact me and help me learn more about milling!! Thanks

• Comment by Kathy McCarty on Simeon Lewis Rural Historic District, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, USA on December 15, 2023

This house is no longer there. It was bulldozed 11/23 and according to zoning records, will be built into apartments.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Gog Farm, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire, England, UK on December 4, 2023

Thank you for sharing this information, Jane!

• Memory by Jane Haworth (js.haworth@yahoo.co.uk) on Gog Farm, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire, England, UK on December 3, 2023

An updating of this record has been lost. My parents and my family lived in this cottage in the 1960s. When they moved in there was a right hand easterly ground floor extension which formed the kitchen and a lobby leading to the back door. My parents added another storey above this one to form a fourth bedroom and an upstairs bathroom. The step in the roof between this storey and the rest if the cottage was formed because of a Building Regulation that all rooms should have a nine foot clearance.

The bedroom to the west of the cottage had a visible cruck in the top half of the inglenook in the sitting room below.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on December 4, 2023

Thank you for sharing this information, Jane!

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Hotel Holly/Haswell Hotel, Haswell, Kiowa, Colorado, USA on December 2, 2023

That sounds awesome! Thanks for letting us know and I look forward to updates.

• Comment by Billybear Jarrett on Hotel Holly/Haswell Hotel, Haswell, Kiowa, Colorado, USA on December 2, 2023

The Haswell Hotel, recently purchased by Chris Anderson and Billybear Jarrett, has been unoccupied since 1994. It is currently under restoration/renovation, to be used as a private residence and affordable housing. One of the buildings on the property, formerly a gas station, is going to be made into a comfort station and campground for cyclists traversing the 4600 mile Trans American Bike Trail. Renovations scheduled for completion in 2026

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on December 2, 2023

That sounds awesome! Thanks for letting us know and I look forward to updates.

• Comment by Robert Sproule (rsprouleny@yahoo.com) on Thomas Bossert House, Shorewood, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA on November 19, 2023

The spelling of Thomas' last name is actually Bossort and he is not related to the Milwaukee Bossert family who were part of Milwaukee's tanning industry. Thomas Ross Bossort worked in textiles and was born in Illinois in 1883 and died in Wisconsin in 1963. His 1942 draft registration card with the Menlo address is available on Ancestry.com. https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/10741998:1002

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Dr. M. C. Hawkins House, Parkdale, Ashley County, Arkansas, USA on November 20, 2023

Thank you so much for sharing your memories!

• Memory by Mary McCleary Delperdang on Dr. M. C. Hawkins House, Parkdale, Ashley County, Arkansas, USA on November 17, 2023

Dr. M.C. Hawkins was my grandfather. He died when I was three so I did not get to meet him, but I have been to this house that my mother grew up in several times. My Aunt Charlotte Hawkins, and my uncle Mark Hawkins, his wife Frances and their son Mark Jr. lived in the house when I was growing up. It is where i first fell in love with horses. My uncle had a large farm and raised crops and cattle. I used to love to go visit and sleep on the screened in porch. There is an attic that has actual stairs on the third floor and it was so much fun to play in. Once I found a Life Magazine up there that had Man of War winning a famous race from the 1920's. My cousin, Mark Jr. and his wife Hazel have redone the house and it is lovely. I have many memories there. My mother, Theresa Hawkins and sister, Charlotte McCleary Sledge are buried in the cemetery in Parkdale also.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on November 20, 2023

Thank you so much for sharing your memories!

• Question by Irene Helm, Stocker (Irenehelmnstocker@sky.com) on Winestead Hall Hospital Office and Service Block, Patrington, East Yorkshire, England, UK on November 15, 2023

Any information on the death of Paul, Elgie what age 9 years old Paul, where is my brother any information on his death I would appreciate you emailing me with it. Thank you why have you put mail why have you put nowhere for I didn’t put

• Question by Jay Michael on Brazil, Tallahatchie County, Mississippi, USA on November 13, 2023

I am interested in the origin of the name Brazil, Mississippi. My wife is from Brazil and I didn't know Mississippi had a town by that name. Any information on the history of this town name would be appreciated.

• Memory by Lana Cheek on Ritte's Corner Historic District, Latonia, Covington, Kenton, Kentucky, USA on November 5, 2023

I remember the fun block parties held at Ritties Corner during the 60’s.

• Question by Lindsey (lscott0709@gmail.com) on Central Railroad of New Jersey Freight Station, Scranton, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, USA on November 5, 2023

Does anyone know who currently owns this building and how we could get in touch with them?

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Rosewarne House, Camborne, Cornwall, England, UK on November 3, 2023

Welcome to Go Historic! I hope you hear from someone via this page.

• Comment by Elizabeth Price (l_a_price@hotmail.com) on Rosewarne House, Camborne, Cornwall, England, UK on November 2, 2023

Hi there. I just found your website! I am the owner of this house and have spent 10 years restoring it. We'd love to hear from anyone who has a connection with the house ....

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on November 3, 2023

Welcome to Go Historic! I hope you hear from someone via this page.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Gowts Bridge, Lincoln, England, UK on November 3, 2023

Thanks for the correction! The location has been updated.

• Correction by J Wright on Gowts Bridge, Lincoln, England, UK on November 3, 2023

The bridge in the picture isn’t Gowts Bridge. That is further up the High Street by Sewells Walk

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on November 3, 2023

Thanks for the correction! The location has been updated.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Sinnett Octagon House, Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa, USA on November 3, 2023

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm sorry to hear so many things have been removed, but I'm glad you have your pictures to preserve its history.

• Visit report by Becky Smith on Sinnett Octagon House, Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa, USA on November 2, 2023

Well I stopped talking about seeing the house and we went a couple of weeks ago. I was so excited to see the outside of the house hadn’t changed much. They got rid of the back steps and added a new building to the back. When I went inside I was so disappointed. They turned it into an office, we very thing was new. The only thing I recognize was the cellar and the spiral staircase. The hidden staircase was gone. The closest with the trap door to the secret room and tunnel was gone. The nice man that showed us around was excited to see the pictures I took of the house. I told him how the house was set up and had an article about the house and it had the floor plan on it. He made copies of the pictures and articles. It was good to see it again, but it was sad that they removed its history.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on November 3, 2023

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Buckwell Place, Herstmonceux, East Sussex, England, UK on November 3, 2023

Thanks for sharing your connection!

• Comment by Alexandra Walker on Buckwell Place, Herstmonceux, East Sussex, England, UK on November 2, 2023

My mother the writer Verily Anderson grew up in this house and wrote about it in her book The Last of the Eccentrics, published in 1972, about her father Rosslyn Bruce who was rector there.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3640678-the-last-of-the-eccentrics
    She also wrote The Castellans of Herstmonceux Castle about the people who'd lived there.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on November 3, 2023

Thanks for sharing your connection!

• Comment by Larry Morgan (altider9@gmail.com) on Robbins Hotel, Beatrice, Monroe County, Alabama, USA on November 1, 2023

I just came across what appears to be a handwritten sermon on hotel stationary dated 193- .
    It found in a Bible that my mother owned. She passed away in 1999.
    11/1/2023

• Question by Richard Talbot (talbot@talbotconsultants.com) on Newhall House, Fetteresso, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK on October 21, 2023

My 2nd great grandfather was The Rev David Barclay Mellis (1800-1861). His wife was Mary Campbell daughter of The Rev John Campbell (1758-1828), Moderator of The Church of Scotland in 1818. David’s older brothers both changed their surname to Nairne (James Mellis in 1811 & John Mellis in 1848) so as to inherit the Dunsinnan House estate from their great-uncle Sir William Nairne, 5th Baronet of Dunsinane. James, John & David’s father was James Alexander Mellis (1764-1804) and their mother Janet Barclay. Their grandmother (Janet’s mother) was Ann Nairne sister of the 4th Baronet Nairne of Dunsinane. James Alexander Mellis’ records state he owned Newhall, Fetteresso. However I can find no trace of his parents or family. Can you assist? If not can you please advise whom I should contact.
    Many thanks:
    Richard
    Col (Ret’d) R.D.B. Talbot C.D., P.J.M.
    Former Honorary Colonel & Commanding Officer
    The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary’s)
    Invicta Cottage, 2430 Whidbey Lane
    Sidney, Victoria, British Columbia
    CANADA, V8L 2K3
    Home: 778-426-4355
    Cell: 250-580-4401
    Email: talbot@talbotconsultants.com

• Comment by Dr. Adrian Lush (adrian_lush@hotmail.com) on The Manor House with Attached Malthouse to Rear, Kilmington, Devon, England, UK on October 18, 2023

The Lush family lived there in the 19c century, and earlier. I have the deeds of sale in1900

• Comment by Elizabeth Hart (ehart7750@gmail.com) on Victoria Park Hotel, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England, UK on October 6, 2023

Beautiful building

• profile image of Holly Hayes Comment by Holly Hayes [admin] on William Barlow House, Canby, Clackamas County, Oregon, USA on October 5, 2023

I passed this beautiful house many times on Highway 99E and thought every time, "I need to pull over and photograph that someday." Last weekend, I finally did. It was worth the stop.

• Comment by Michael Maier (michaeldmaier4488@gmail.com) on Shemuel Kearney House, Franklinton, Franklin County, North Carolina, USA on October 2, 2023

I’m a 5th great grandson to Shemuel Kearney. I’m just thrilled to see his house saved and cherished.

• Question by jan gudites (jgudites@gmail.com) on J. McIntyre Farm, Newark, New Castle County, Delaware, USA on September 30, 2023
    Can anyone visit the historic J. McIntyre Farm? Any info would be helpful.

Jan

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Herman P. Demund House, Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, USA on September 28, 2023

That sounds fantastic! Thanks for your preservation work and for letting us know.

• Comment by Scott Underwood (scott@thedemund.com) on Herman P. Demund House, Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, USA on September 27, 2023

I purchased this house in May of 2022. I have reclassified it as residential and currently restoring it. I have removed the parking lot and added a resort like swimming pool area as well as in the stages of adding the carriage house back with a garage underneath it. We host wine in the yard event every First Friday all are welcome.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on September 28, 2023

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Shupe-Williams Candy Company Factory, Ogden, Weber County, Utah, USA on September 25, 2023

I’m sorry to hear that! Thank you for the update.

• Correction by Trini Tracy on Shupe-Williams Candy Company Factory, Ogden, Weber County, Utah, USA on September 24, 2023

The Shupe-Williams Building was burned down in 2006 and no longer exists. See Article: https://www.ksl.com/article/175222/fire-destroys-ogden-building

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on September 25, 2023

I’m sorry to hear that! Thank you for the update.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Hms Drake Chapel of St Nicholas, Plymouth, England, UK on September 19, 2023

What an interesting birth! I did some searching but was unable to find out if the church is open; I hope someone who knows will reply here.

• Question by Angela Johnson (angeljj@hotmail.co.uk) on Hms Drake Chapel of St Nicholas, Plymouth, England, UK on September 18, 2023

I was wondering if this church is open to the public, reason being I was the first baby I believe to be christened in the 13th year if the church doing christenings. I have paperwork, as my mum and myself were looked after at the royal naval hospital. Due to me making an early appearance in the back of a taxi. I would love to visit the church.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on September 19, 2023

• Question by Keith Hutcheson on Kingoodie, E Quarry Pier, Longforgan, Perth and Kinross, Scotland, UK on September 17, 2023

My great grandfathers worked in the Kingoodie quarry. I would like to know if there is someone in Kingoodie that I can contact to help me find out if our family has any relatives still living in the area. My great grandfather James Hutcheson (stone mason) came to Canada around 1875. His grandparents William Hutcheson and Elspet Ogilvie had 4 other children that we know nothing about. They were married in Longforgan November 27, 1803. Is there someone in that area that can help me to find out more about these people. Any help would be appreciated.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Astoria-Megler Bridge, Astoria, Clatsop County, Oregon, USA on September 12, 2023

How interesting! Thanks so much for sharing your memories, Ivan.

• Memory by Ivan B. (irberry2023@gmail.com) on Astoria-Megler Bridge, Astoria, Clatsop County, Oregon, USA on September 11, 2023

Back in the 60s the ship I was on at the time made a trip to Astoria and they were just building this bridge then . We tried to have seaplanes do operations in the river but the current was too swift to take off in . Then hooked JATO (jet assisted takeoff) tanks on the planes and that brought them up very fast. The navy had a lot of old decommissioned ships at Tongue Point at that time.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on September 12, 2023

How interesting! Thanks so much for sharing your memories, Ivan.

• Question by debra gater (deborah_gater@sky.com) on Midfield Lodge, Polton, Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland, UK on September 12, 2023

Good afternoon , I wonder if you can help me. I am doing some research on behalf of my mother. Norma Mary Croft (Her mother’s maiden name Giles).
    She was born @ Polton Lodge Lasswade on 17/11/1944.
    She then returned to Tonbridge Kent with her Mother @ a very young age.
    I’m afraid we know no more .
    So wondered if you could tell us What Polton Lodge was back in 1944 & who lived/owned it.

I would very much appreciate anything at all you could tell us or put me in the right direction.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Karrick Block, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA on September 11, 2023

It's a cool building! I have a Next-Time List for virtually everywhere I visit, too. :)

• Comment by Ann Karrick on Karrick Block, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA on September 9, 2023

I have been to SLC, but not seen Karrick Block. It's most definitely on my list for "next time."

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on September 11, 2023

• Comment by Roger hughes (llewellynroger1@gmail.com) on 30 Havelock Street, Dowanhill Primary School, Glasgow, Glasgow City Council Area, Scotland, UK on September 3, 2023

My grandfather James Roger Stewart was headmaster till he retired in 1944

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Henry K. List House, Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia, USA on August 30, 2023

Hi Bob! Go Historic is not the owner or official contact for this house and the only contact information we have is the address.

• Question by Bob Bennington on Henry K. List House, Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia, USA on August 30, 2023

Hello,
    My name is Bob Bennington and I am paranormal investigator from Bridgeport. I was speaking with a gentleman a few day ago and mentioned the List house and said I should reach out and ask if it would be possible to investigate your property. I would love to have a conversation about the house. If this is something not allowed I understand and thank you for allowing me to reach out.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on August 30, 2023

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on S. S. Eaves House, Decatur, Meigs County, Tennessee, USA on August 29, 2023

Such sad news! Thanks for the update.

• Visit report by Rebecca barker (Imthatbeckyhm@gmail.com) on S. S. Eaves House, Decatur, Meigs County, Tennessee, USA on August 28, 2023

Well it is sad to see that the place is being torn down. Right now the wrap around porch and lattice have been removed and disposed of. It could have been beautifully restored. All the windows have been broken out and all that's left is basically the outside shell. Of course I have not been inside. I'd sure love to have seen it in its prime and even after all these years I'd like to have seen it.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on August 29, 2023

Such sad news! Thanks for the update.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Clune Park School, Robert Street, Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland, UK on August 29, 2023

Oh no! Thank you for letting us know.

• Comment by John Clarke on Clune Park School, Robert Street, Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland, UK on August 27, 2023

Sadly this building is on fire as I write this

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on August 29, 2023

Oh no! Thank you for letting us know.

• Comment by Frank Boase on Woodbridge Farmhouse, Farway, Devon, England, UK on August 23, 2023

No comment, but I would like to receive your newsletter.

• Comment by Jackie Gross on John H. Heywood Elementary School, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, USA on August 24, 2023

I started kindergarten in 68,1st grade fall of 69,...that 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Kilkenny was a horrible human, a child abuser,...hate her to this day,...hope dhe suffered a horrible death,...but all the other teachers i had were great people,....grew up 5 blocks from there,...there through the 5th grade then it was closed down,...can remember so many things,...i know many from my class year have ssdly already died away,...here it is 2023',....

• Comment by Elizabeth Painter on Walter Scott Montgomery House, Spartanburg, Spartanburg County, South Carolina, USA on August 17, 2023

I attended school in this house. Glendale Academy. I have so many memories of it and would LOVE to tour it. Is this possible?

• Comment by Angela Holdsworth (Aneuberger@clmail.co.uk) on 54, Parliament Street SW1, London, London, England, UK on August 16, 2023

I worked in number 54 from 1966 to 1968. It was then adapted as an annex to the House of Commons for MPs and their staff. I imagine once portcullis house was built there was no longer any need for it.

• Memory by Linda thompson (lindathompsonldt@cs.com) on David Sutherland House, Cornwall, Orange County, New York, USA on August 15, 2023

My mother was raised and lived in Cornwall in a house called Breezehill looking out on Storm King mountain. I used to visit her brother Jack with her in the 50’s. According to the census I think the address was #4 Angola Rd. Does that house still stand? Thanks for any information you might provide.

• Comment by Robin Roper Scales (flyrobinfly2011@gmail.com) on Fonti Flora Plantation, Monticello, Fairfield County, South Carolina, USA on August 14, 2023

May this wicked place be destroyed in honor of the residing slave, Jacob who bravely refused to be whipped by his overseer. May it be cursed and burned to the ground. May beautiful flowers blanket the landscape be a symbol of hope for African Americans. I am a distant cousin of the Person's. My name is Robin Roper Scales

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Harperfield, Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK on August 1, 2023

Thank you for submitting this information, Greta!

• Comment by Greta Pearson on Harperfield, Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK on August 1, 2023

Harperfield is close to where the river Clyde & Douglas Water meet. Douglas village & clan are associated with weaving. Scottish king in 1100s invited Flemish weavers to bring their skills & they became Earls of Morton & Earls of Angus. (Black Douglas & Red Douglas).
    They also married the Bannatynes.
    During 1500s the Black Douglas had their lands confiscated due to involvement in murder of Henry Lennox. They were later returned to the Red Douglas family, who built Corra Castle at Falls of Clyde next to New Lanark. Their name was Bannatyne & later moved to a smaller Harperfield House at Lesmahagow.
    I think the house is now being restored.
    Also see stunning views of nearby Morton Castle on u tube.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on August 1, 2023

Thank you for submitting this information, Greta!

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on James S. Lakin House, Terra Alta, Preston County, West Virginia, USA on July 31, 2023

Thanks for your question! It doesn't look like it is generally open for tours; however, it is available as a vacation rental via Airbnb and an event space, so it might be worth contacting the owner to ask. I've added contact info to our main listing page.

• Comment by Sara Lee Wable Goodart (slgoodart@aol.com) on James S. Lakin House, Terra Alta, Preston County, West Virginia, USA on July 30, 2023

Is this house open for tours?

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on July 31, 2023

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Anna Sewell House, Old Catton, Norfolk, England, UK on July 25, 2023

Thanks for your comment, Lily! I've done some research and unfortunately it appears the house is privately owned and not open to visitors. However, you can visit the home where Anna Sewell was born, which is now part of a horse sanctuary.

• Comment by Lily on Anna Sewell House, Old Catton, Norfolk, England, UK on July 25, 2023

Good afternoon
    Please let me know if visiting the house is possible? And, if so what are the times and dates available and if advance booking is recommended?
    Lily

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on July 25, 2023

• Comment by Kathy Livingston on Maury Elementary School, Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, USA on July 22, 2023

I attended Maury from 1966-70.
    1st-4th grade.
    It was an excellent school!

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Blossom Lodge (Finley B. Hewes House), Gulfport, Harrison County, Mississippi, USA on July 19, 2023

Thanks for your comment, Anthony! I did some quick research on this building and was sorry to find it was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. The good news is, there are some photos in the National Register Nomination Form (2002), which I've linked in the Sources. I wasn't able to find any other photos online, so I hope someone out there can contribute a photo as well!

• Comment by Anthony W. Kalberg (iougarbo@hotmail.com) on Blossom Lodge (Finley B. Hewes House), Gulfport, Harrison County, Mississippi, USA on July 19, 2023

Good morning! Does anyone have a snap of Blossom Lodge? I remember this lovely old home and would like to have a snap of it. Kind regards, Anthony

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on July 19, 2023

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Kenfield Hall, Petham, Kent, England, UK on July 17, 2023

Thank you for sharing this news and your connections, Patricia. If you'd like any of your photos related to Kenfield Hall published here, please feel free to email them to me (hello@gohistoric.com). Personal histories and photos really bring these old buildings to life!

• Comment by Patricia Lindsay (plindsay327@btinternet.com) on Kenfield Hall, Petham, Kent, England, UK on July 17, 2023

I loved reading the comment by Rosemary Wells. Ivar O'Brien who was the O'Briens only child was my uncle (he married my fathers sister). He passed away approx 5 years ago and had no children to pass the name onto.

My aunt is in a care home now and today, 17th July 2023 we are auctioning the last remaining pieces of furniture from Kenfield Hall at Mallams Auction, abingdon. I have photos of Mrs O'Brien with her German Shepard Dogs.

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on July 17, 2023

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Gaffney House, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, USA on July 17, 2023

Thank you for your correction. The National Register didn't provide the house number, so our automatically-generated coordinates were off. I've corrected both the address and the coordinates and added some additional information. What a fantastic riverside location!

• Correction by john paul on Gaffney House, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, USA on July 16, 2023

you have the incorrect location for this house, the correct address is 4515 River Road, Louisville, KY

Holly Hayes [admin] replied on July 17, 2023

• Memory by Erik on James Ward Packard House, Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio, USA on July 14, 2023

Used to walk past this house on my way home from middle school. I knew it must've been a big deal because it's a huge house with a stone wall around it, but there wasn't a plaque or anything so no one knew what the deal was. You'd think it'd be more well known in Warren considering how important the Packards are to the history of the town.

• profile image of Holly Hayes Comment by Holly Hayes [admin] on Logan Demonstration School, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA on July 14, 2023

Thank you all so much for sharing your memories! It really makes the building come alive. I'm so glad you had such good experiences at Logan.

• Memory by Elaine Lukens Schmid (lrgels8@comcast.net) on Logan Demonstration School, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA on July 14, 2023

I attended Logan Demonstration School from K to 6th grade- 1938-1945. We sang patriotic songs in the auditorium during WW2 and sold stamps and war bonds in the classrooms, plus collected newspapers for the war effort. We walked up to Central HS during Air Raids Drills and passed a Prison Camp in Wisters Woods where German prisoners watched us go by. My memories are of Bible readings in the morning from the Old Testaments and the New Testament after lunch. What a wonderful school.

• Georgia Priester replied to a comment on Calvin W. Parr House, Athens, Clarke County, Georgia, USA on July 10, 2023

I know about nomination form. It was done in early 80’s. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thanks for taking care of the correction.
    Georgia Priester
    April Chapman

• profile image of Holly Hayes Holly Hayes [admin] replied to a comment on Calvin W. Parr House, Athens, Clarke County, Georgia, USA on July 9, 2023

Thanks for the correction! We got the address from the National Register Nomination Form. It has been corrected in our database. If you also wish to update the National Register, you can do so via your State Historic Preservation Office.

• Comment by Georgia Priester on Calvin W. Parr House, Athens, Clarke County, Georgia, USA on July 9, 2023

Hello, I grew up in the Calvin W. Parr and it’s still my family home. The address that you have 277 Bloomfield Street is incorrect. It’s 227 Bloomfield Street. Please make this correction as we are in process of acquiring a historical marker for our home.
    Thanks so much.