9 and 10, Borough Place is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
Listed Building Data
- List Entry ID
- REMAINS OF NORTON PRIORY
- REMAINS OF NORTON PRIORY, WARRINGTON ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SJ 54860 83043
Listed Building Details
SJ 58 SE NORTON WARRINGTON ROAD
5/59 Remains of Norton Priory
Remains of Augustinian Priory founded by the Baron of Halton circa 1115, the Priory was raised to abbey status in 1391, affected by the dissolution of 1536,became the site of a Tudor house for Sir Richard Brooke in 1545 which was, in 1730, replaced by a Georgian house. The Georgian building was altered by James Wyatt in 1775, altered again C19 and demolished in 1928. Sandstone walls and corework and some C19 ashlar work remain, important areas covered by asbestos cement slate monopitch roof. A Norman vaulted undercroft remains and this contains a high quality doorway of 1180 and a Victorian copy,2 blind arcades on slender shafts and good vaulted areas; in addition, extensive monastic ruins a few feet high remain. Of the houses only the entrance porch of 1868 remains, single storey with rustications, keystones and cornice which gives access to the undercroft. The most important monastic remains in the County. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SJ5483183045