Listed Building Data

Church of St Hydroc is listed on the National Heritage List for England (NHLE) with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

Listed Building Facts

List Entry ID
Listing Type
listed building
Listed Building Name
Date Listed
6 June 1969
Grid Reference
SX 08512 63625


LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK SX 06 SE 9/72 Church of St Hydroc 6.6.69 GV I

Parish church. Probably early C15, enlarged later C15. Alterations of circa 1621, by Sir Richard Robartes ; south aisle dated WS WD 1736 (not wholly legible). Restored and the chancel extended in 1886. Granite ashlar; north wall of north aisle in granite rubble. Granite dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles with raised coped verges and cross finials to the gable ends. Plan: Nave and chancel in one. The north aisle was added mid-to-late C15. In circa late C15, the south aisle, south porch and west tower were added. In 1886, a doorway was inserted in the east end of the north aisle and the chancel was extended beyond the aisles to each side. Exterior: The nave is concealed by the aisles. The chancel is on moulded plinth, with 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould of C19. The north aisle has a plinth to north and west, rebuilt with a hollow-chamfered mullions. The south porch is gabled, the plinth continuous with the aisle. The outer doorway has depressed 4-centred arch with clustered shafts to sides, with ring-moulded capitals. Recessed spandrels with carved leaves, square hood mould with label stops; C19 wooden gates. The interior of the porch has granite paved floor and rendered walls, with granite benches to sides. Late C15 wagon roof with carved wall-plates, ribs and bosses. 4-centred arched inner doorway, wave and hollow-moulded; studded door, remade in the C19 with strap hinges and wooden case lock. West tower in 3 stages on hollow-chamfered plinth with weathered string courses, embattled parapet with pinnacles and crocketed obelisks ; lancets for stair to north. West doorway of C19 restoration, with 4-centred arch, moulded, wit hood mould and relieving arch, double doors. West window is a 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with hood mould. Third stage has 3-light bell-openings with 4-centred arches and hood moulds, all cusped lights with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: Walls plastered except for the arcades. All roofs are ceiled C19 wagon roofs, with re-used C15 bosses in the nave. Tall 4-centred tower arch with imposts. 4-bay north arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers, with plain capitals and 4-centred arches. In the north aisle, all windows have nook-shafts with hollow-moulded capitals, the north window all with a panel of plasterwork with strapwork of C17. 4- bay south arcade with Pevsner A-type piers, capitals in a different coloured granite with geometric carving ; 4-centred arches with chamfered mouldings. All south windows have nook-shafts extending down to floor level ; slender shafts hollow- chamfered at the sides; same nook-shafts only to cill level in the east window. Fittings: C19 stone font in nave. C19 wooden benches and pulpit; C19 marble reredos with piscina and aumbries; brass and wrought iron common rail; all of 1886. C20 stuffed owl in nave. In the north aisle, a fine plaster coat of arms, without colour, of James I; also a shield of arms, oil on board, of the Hon. Charles Bagenal- Agar, died 1811. Monuments in south aisle: Pair of slate tablets, with Latin and English verses, painted and gilded slate shield of arms and pilasters, to George Carminow, 1599 and his wife Jane. Marble tablet on slate ground, to Thomas Jane, 1848, Nicholas Cole, 1821 and Mary Cole, 1855. In north aisle, a fine marble monument with inscription panel, Corinthian columns, broken segmental pediment with shield of arms and skulls, scrolled supporters, apron with putto and corbels and lion masks, to Lady Essex Speccot, 1689. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Trinick, M.: Lanhydrock House 1986.

Listing NGR: SX0851163628

Page Info

Listed Building Data for Church of St Hydroc, Lanhydrock, England