Salem, Oregon

Historic Sites & Landmarks in Salem, Oregon

1-10 / 76
  • Willamette Heritage Center Salem, Oregon 1964

    Formerly known as the Mission Mill Museum, the Willamette Heritage Center incorporates several 19th-century buildings from Salem's pioneer history, which centered around wool manufacturing and Methodist missions.

  • Thomas Kay Woolen Mill Salem, Oregon 1889

    Founded in 1889 by Thomas Lister Kay, this mill produced wool blankets and fabrics for 70 years, playing a critical role in Salem's early economic stability. It is open to the public as part of the Mission Mill Museum.

  • Jason Lee House Salem, Oregon 1841

    Built in 1841 as the home of pioneer Jason Lee, this two-story house with a balcony was used for planning the Provisional Government in Salem. It is one of the oldest houses in Oregon and is now part of the Willamette Heritage Center.

  • John D. Boon House Salem, Oregon 1847

    The oldest single-family house in Salem, this was the home of Oregon's treasurer John D. Boon. Originally built next to the first State Treasury building (Boon's Treasury), it was moved to the Willamette Heritage Center in 1972.

  • Historic Elsinore Theatre Salem, Oregon 1926

    Designed to resemble the castle in Shakespeare's Hamlet, the Elsinore Theater was completed in 1926 and considered the finest theater between Portland and San Francisco. Its first shows were silent movies and vaudeville acts.

  • Bush House Museum Salem, Oregon 1878

    Built in 1878 by Asahel Bush, founding editor of the Oregon Statesman newspaper and co-founder of Salem’s Ladd & Bush Bank, Bush House is now a museum offering free tours.

  • Methodist Parsonage Salem, Oregon 1841

    Founded in 1841, this home of Methodist missionaries is one of the oldest remaining frame houses in the Pacific Northwest. Moved here from its original location, it is now part of the Mission Mill Museum.

  • Deepwood Museum and Gardens Salem, Oregon 1894

    Designed by William C. Knighton in the Queen Anne style, the Luke A. Port House was built in 1894. Now known as Deepwood Museum and Gardens, the house is open for tours and hosts seasonal events.

  • Farrar Building Salem, Oregon 1917

    Occupying 6,400 square feet at 351-373 State Street, the Ferrar Building dates from 1917. From the 1950s to 1980s it was home to Salem fixture “The Smoke Shop.” Today it houses The Arbor gift shop and a realtor's office.

  • The Arbor Salem, Oregon 1917

    Occupying the historic Farrar Building, The Arbor gift shop has close connections with a local winery and olive grove, which is reflected in its curated selection of products.

1-10 / 76