Tokeland Hotel Tokeland, Washington

National Register of Historic Places Data

The Tokeland Hotel has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places with the following information, which has been imported from the National Register database and/or the Nomination Form . Please note that not all available data may be shown here, minor errors and/or formatting may have occurred during transcription, and some information may have become outdated since listing.

National Register ID
Date Listed
April 11, 1978
Tokeland Hotel
Kindred Ave. and Hotel Rd.
Level of Sig.
Years of Sig.
1885; 1899; 1910
Areas of Sig.


Text courtesy of the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Parks Service. Minor transcription errors or changes in formatting may have occurred; please see the Nomination Form PDF for official text. Some information may have become outdated since the property was nominated for the Register.

The Tokeland Hotel stands on Toke Point, a windswept peninsula off the north shore of Washington's Willapa Bay. Tokeland is a small rural community, its buildings well- separated by trees, shrubs and open spaces. The hotel itself is situated well off Kindred Avenue, the main highway through town. The present-day "front" elevation of the hotel faces west, while the "rear" elevation commands a northeasterly view of the bay, across a landscaped lawn.

To the north of the hotel property is a large frame tavern which is regularly open for business. It once served as the resort's clubhouse. Directly adjacent to the hotel building on the north is a dilapidated barn. A bungalow-period home, much remodeled, borders the property on the southeast.

The present-day Tokeland Hotel is the result of at least three additions to the Kindred family farmhouse, first built in 1885. The original structure was a two-story wood frame building with a gabled roof and a brick fireplace built into the north wall.

It was approximately 40 feet by 65 feet and had a covered porch extending 5 feet from the east elevation facing the bay. This original dwelling was constructed with materials shipped from the Willapa Bay area. Lumber was transported by small craft from a mill in South Bend. The exterior walls were clad with shiplap, 6 inches by 1 inch in dimension. The interior walls were formed of vertical rough-sawn planks, 10 inches by 1 inch, covered with burlap and wallpaper.

In 1899 the Kindreds built a two-story addition which gave the structure an "L" shape. At about this time they formally opened for business as the Kindred Inn. In 1910 a second wing of approximately the same size as the farm house was constructed, leaving the building "C" shaped. Gas lighting was installed and a second large fireplace was built. The roof was covered with split shakes until ca. 1950 when composition shingles were applied over the original material, weathered by years of wind and rain. Currently the shake roof is being replaced by the owners.

Interior remodeling and the addition of a plumbing system were undertaken by Maude Kindred almost continually through the 1920's and 1930's. Gas was replaced by electricity, and the central dining area was extended out to the edge of the porches on the east facade. For all practical purposes the front elevation facing the bay became the rear, leaving the Tokeland Hotel much as it appears today externally. At least two coats of paint preceded the present barn red that was applied in 1974.

The Tokeland Hotel contains some thirty rooms each of which features at least one large window. There are eighteen sleeping rooms on the second floor. Much of the hotel's original furniture remains, including oak bedroom sets, dining tables and chairs. Hand- painted murals in the dining room are set off by large areas of dark-stained woodwork and continuous tongue-in-groove wainscotting.

The current owners of the hotel are rehabilitating the structure to its original use, as their time and finances allow. Guests are served each weekend in the spacious dining room, and a number of sleeping rooms have been made liveable once again. Water leakage has caused the deterioration of much of the building's original fabric. A great deal of original wallpaper has been removed, owing to the severe water damage. Wooden elements have suffered to some extent from rot, but the foundation blocks of aggregate cement remain in sound condition.

The hotel's kitchen facilities have been modernized over the years without effecting the structure itself. On the whole, the architectural integrity of the Tokeland Hotel has remained relatively undisturbed, despite its continual evolution as a functioning seaside resort.

Statement of Significance

Text courtesy of the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Parks Service. Minor transcription errors or changes in formatting may have occurred; please see the Nomination Form PDF for official text. Some information may have become outdated since the property was nominated for the Register.

The Tokeland Hotel is significant historically as one of the oldest resort hotels in the state of Washington. The founders of the hotel were Elizabeth Brown Kindred and William Stingly Kindred, both from pioneer families of the Northwest.

Elizabeth Brown was born in 1862 at Bruceport to George and Charlotte Brown. Her father had settled in 1858 on Toke Point which was then rich in oysters and inhabited only by natives of the Willapa tribe. One of their number, Chief Toke, gave the area its name. Lizzie, as she was always known, grew up with the young people of this tribe as her only child­hood companions. Her interest in them and their affection for her contributed to the priceless native basket and artifact collection which she displayed at the hotel until her death in 1931.

In 1880 Elizabeth married William S. Kindred, whom she had met while he worked on the construction of the North Cove Lifesaving Station on Willapa Bay. William was born in 1857 in Clatsop County, Oregon. His grandfather had come to Oregon Territory with the Captain C. Gilliam party in 1844. In 1845 they moved to Puget Sound with Michael T. Simmons, George Bush, and other Americans who founded Tumwater and later Olympia. William's father, B. C. Kindred, was one of the first pilots on the Columbia River. It was from his father's home in Portland that William came north to Toke Point in 1880.

In December of 1884 William purchased his father-in-law's 900-acre homestead, as well as his dairy and oyster business. The following year he and Lizzie built the farmhouse which forms the south wing of the Tokeland Hotel. Inspired by an ever-increasing flow of travelers to the area, the Kindreds added a two-story wing in 1899 and formally opened their home to the public. At first the family called their hospitable establishment "The Kindred Inn;" but shortly thereafter the name was changed to the Tokeland Hotel. From 1898 to 1915 William Kindred served as Tokeland's post­ master and the hotel functioned as the community's official post office.

Paralleling the growing lumber industry around Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor, Tokeland grew increasingly popular as a recreation area. The leisurely resort atmosphere that developed at the inn on Toke Point was in noted contrast to the bawdy recreation offered by saloons and brothels in Aberdeen, Raymond, and South Bend. The completion of the north wing in 1910 left the hotel much as it stands today.

Interior remodeling and improvements continued through the 1930's to keep pace with the luxurious summer cottages built on the Point by the "sawdust aristocracy." The hotel's clientele came not only from the regional lumber capitals but from as far away as Idaho and California. The inn was especially well-known for its cuisine which featured fresh oysters, razor clams, crab, and fish. In time, the hotel's facilities were expanded to include a club house, a gun club, and a golf course.