Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
ABBEY CHURCH YARD (South side)
Roman Baths Museum (Formerly Listed as: Roman Baths) 12/06/50
Roman bath, now museum. C1-C4, with a museum of 1889 and 1897 above. By John McKean Brydon, sculpture by G.A. Lawson. MATERIALS: Bath limestone ashlar with Roman tile roofs and asphalted and stone paved terraces. Rectangular Great Bath measures 25m by 12m by 1.5m deep. EXTERIOR: Stone bath with stepped sides, lined with lead sheets. This, and the surrounding column bases, date from C1. Round this is an open Tuscan colonnade, with half columns fronting square piers on the north side beneath the Concert Room (qv), and whole columns elsewhere. The colonnade is five by three bays, as was the Roman one, and is topped by a pierced parapet which carries life size statues by G.A. Lawson, of the Emperors and Generals especially connected with Britain (Julius Caesar, Claudius, Hadrian, Constantine the Great, Vespasian-Ostorius, Scapula, Suetonius, Agricola). A replacement statue of Julius Caesar was carved by Lawrence Tindall in 1989/90 following vandalism of the Lawson figure... read more