Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
SK9771NE CASTLE HILL 1941-1/9/71 (North side) 08/10/53 No.8 Leigh-Pemberton House (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE HILL (North side) No.8 and No.1 Bailgate (Leigh-Pemberton House))
Merchant's house, now offices. c1543, extensively restored 1929 and 1970. Timber framing, with arch braces, plastered nogging, rubble plinth and plain tile roof with a brick valley stack. 2 jettied floors with brackets on south and east fronts. Triple gabled south front, to Castle Hill, has to left a late C18 bow window with glazing bars, flanked to left by a half-glazed door. To right, a restored 2-light fixed window and a segment headed close-boarded door. Above, on each floor, three C20 leaded casements with 2 and 3 lights. East front, to Bailgate, 2 bays, has a close boarded door flanked by fixed lights with glazing bars. Above, on each floor, 2 leaded casements with 2 and 3 lights. South-east corner has an original post with carved figure and bracket. INTERIOR has jowled posts, some with arch braces, dragon beams, and is known to have crownpost roofs... read more