Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
THE CRESCENT 1. (north side) 5342 ------------ Church of St Mary and St Germain (Selby Abbey) SE 6132 SE 5/1 16.12.52
2. Parish Church, formerly the church of Selby Abbey, a mitred abbey, one of the three most important Benedictine houses in the north, and (traditionally) the earliest. Founded, according to tradition in 1069. Dissolved 1536. The church was begun by Abbot Hugh de Lacy (1097-1123), and from his campaign date the earlier part of the nave and transepts. The west part of the nave and the lower part of the west front appear to be late C12. The north nave gallery and the upper parts of the west front appear to be mid-C13. The chancel and some of the tracery elsewhere are of later C14 date. The tower collapsed in 1690, and was repaired circa 1701-2, probably by "Mr Hall, a local builder of some note". The church was restored in 1871-3 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and again in 1889-90 by J Oldrid Scott. In 1906 a serious fire prompted the most drastic restoration of all, also by J Oldrid Scott, which included a new crossing tower (1908), south transept (circa 1912), and west towers (1935)... read more