Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
SE 18 NE EAST WITTON OUT PARISH JERVAULX PARK
4/37 Abbey Ruins 15.2.67 (formerly listed as Jervaulx Abbey ruins GV under General)
Ruins of Cistercian house moved to this site in 1156. Early English. Sandstone ashlar. Church of nave, transepts and choir, with cloister on south side of nave, flanked by chapter house to east, kitchen and dorter to south. Footings of church stand up to about 1 metre high, showing an aisled nave, transepts with eastern aisles anad short choir with lady chapel. Pier bases octofoiled with keels. Lady Chapel, now containing stone coffins. In the north transept a complete stone altar, and part in the south transept. At the crossing a mutilated stone effigy of c1280, probably of Ralph Fitz-Henry. Several medieval grave covers in the nave. To the south of the church, the outline of the cloister. On its eastern side, with 2 round-headed windows, the chapter house, rectangular in plan, the walls standing approximately 2 metres high, containing a stone bench on inside... read more