Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
SE6052SW MINSTER YARD 1112-1/27/1 Cathedral Church of St Peter, York 14/06/54 Minster
Cathedral and Chapter House. Transepts 1220-1255; aisled nave 1291-1360, Chapter House 1275-90. Lady Chapel 1361-71; Choir and integral transepts c1380-1418; east end 1360-c1408; Zouche Chapel and Vestry late C14. West front and towers c1290-c1470; crossing tower 1410-70; Library 1418-20; Choir screen c1460. Rededication 3 July 1472. Floor paved to designs of Lord Burlington 1730-6. Chapter House vault renewed in plaster by John Carr 1798. Restored 1802-28 by William Shout. Fire 1829. Choir roof rebuilt 1829-32 by Sir Robert Smirke. Fire 1840. Nave roof rebuilt 1840-44 by Sydney Smirke. South transept restored 1871 by GE Street. Flying buttresses added to nave 1905-7 by GF Bodley. Extensive restoration 1966-72 by Bernard Fielden. Fire 1984. South transept roof rebuilt 1984-88. MATERIALS: oolitic limestone ashlar from Tadcaster and lead roofs with wood and plaster vaults: Chapter House has octo-pyramidal roof... read more