Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN NZ 2742 SW (South side)
14/365 Cathedral Church of 6/5/52 Christ and St. Mary the Virgin
Cathedral church, originally of Benedictine Priory, refounded 1541 as secular cathedral.
Main body 1093-1130, begun by Bishop William of St. Calais; Galilee 1189 for Bishop le Puiset. West tower tops, east bay and Chapel of 9 altars, 1242- c.1280. 1464-88 tower top stage. Restorations of late C18, early C19 and mid C19, notably by Bonomi and Jackson, Pickering and Robson and Fowler. Dressed sandstone; slate roofs. Cruciform with aisles, east transept aisles, transeptal eastern chapel, crossing tower, twin west towers and western Galilee. Galilee one storey with battlemented parapet and richly-moulded north entrance. Large, restored C14 and C15 windows. West towers have 4 lower stages aligned with those on nave: all have shafted round-arched openings (those on south side enriched), the ground stage a blank arcade, the clerestory set back under a corbel table... read more