Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
612/9/349 HIGH STREET 12-JAN-54 (North side) CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN RADCLIFFE SQUARE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
Parish church. (RCHM 34) North tower, circa 1280, with spire circa 1315 (repaired 1808 and 1850; in 1495-6 it was partially rebuilt and pinnacles restored by Sir T G Jackson, mainly in Clipsham stone; all the statues but one renewed by Sir George Frampton). The Congregation House, with Library in upper storey, circa l320. North Chapel, on West of tower, circa 1328. Chancel rebuilt 1463. Nave and aisles rebuilt, circa 1490. Choir vestry, late C16. South porch, 1637 to design of Nicholas Stone, John Jackson being the mason; repaired 1865. Vestry C17. Church restored by Scott in 1861, including refacing. Exterior of South aisle was patched in synthetic stone in 1939. Notable fittings include stall work, sedilia and many monuments. The Univisity Church. Of historic importance for its connections with the Oxford Movement. J H Newman was Vicar of St Mary's from 1828 to his retirement in 1843... read more