Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
627/8/210 ST PAUL'S CHURCHYARD EC4 627/9/210 CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PAUL TQ3181 SE 8/210 TQ3218 SW 9/210 04-JAN-1950
1675 to 1710 by Sir Christopher Wren. Rebuilding of mediaeval cathedral burnt in Great Fire. Classical style, mainly of Portland stone, with central dome and western towers. Large crypt. Contains important contemporary and later fittings and monuments including a very few survivals from the previous church. C19 fittings, monuments, decorations etc of importance. Dome painted by Thornhill. Above the 2 west chapels are the library and music room. The south west tower contains a fine circular staircase. Elaborate steps with walls, piers, urns and gates to south transept. Broad steps to west front flanked by pedestals supporting decorative iron lamp standards by Lutyens.
Listing NGR: TQ3204281141