Chesters Museum Humshaugh, England

Museum. Commissioned before 1895 by Nathaniel George Clayton, nephew of John Clayton who owned the Roman site of Chesters and began the excavations; opened in 1903, after the deaths of Nathaniel and his son John Bertram, for Mrs Nathaniel George Clayton by R Norman Shaw. Coarse local sandstone, rock-faced and snecked, with ashlar dressings.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
355131
NHLE ID
1043022
Names
Chesters Museum
Coordinates
55.0282780° N, 2.1397740° W
Dates
1895-1903

Location Map

Map showing the location of Chesters Museum, Humshaugh, England. (Note: The address shown in the upper-left panel is sometimes inaccurate.) Click here to view larger.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Chesters Museum, Humshaugh, England. (Note: The address shown in the upper-left panel is sometimes inaccurate.) Click here to view larger.

view all →

Timeline

24 May 1988
Chesters Museum designated a Grade II listed building
view all →

Listed Building Data

Chesters Museum is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1043022
Grade
II*
Name
CHESTERS MUSEUM
Location
CHESTERS MUSEUM, B6319
Grid Reference
NY 91162 70425