Erected in 1868 and funded by Lutherans around the world, this is the largest Reformation monument ever built. Situated in a purpose-built park, it includes statues of Luther, his contemporaries and his forerunners.
- Go Historic ID
- Go Historic URL
- Short URL
- Luther Monument
- 49.632323° N, 8.360065° E
- Date Published
- October 8, 2013
- Last Updated
- April 11, 2015
Description of the Luther Monument
The Luther Monument in Worms is the largest Luther Monument in the world. The elaborate sculpture group centers on Martin Luther, who is flanked by Frederick the Wise of Saxony and Philip of Hesse, two powerful princes who played a major role in the political success of the Reformation. Behind Luther are Johannes Reuchlin and Philipp Melanchthon, two important Protestant scholars, and at his feet are forerunners of the Reformation: Peter Waldo, John Wycliffe, Jan Hus and Girolamo Savonarola. The seated women personify the first German cities to adopt Protestantism and between the wall and the statue of Luther are the names of other towns that played an important role in the Reformation.
- June 25, 1868
Luther Monument dedicated in Worms
The Luther Monument is dedicated in a new park built on the site of the town moat in Worms. Designed by Ernst Rietschel, its construction was funded by donations from the whole Lutheran world.