A Byzantine wonder that looks more like Istanbul than Italy, the 11th-century Basilica di San Marco is covered in domes, lined with golden mosaics, and filled with ancient art treasures.
References & Resources
- Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture
- Venice: Buildings: S Marco Grove Art Online.
- San Marco, Byzantium, and the Myths of Venice
- Piazza San Marco
- The Mosaics of San Marco in Venice
- The Mosaic Decoration of San Marco, Venice
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Medieval Art and Architecture
- Official Website of the Basilica of St. Mark Official website.
- Article Title
- Basilica of St. Mark (Venice, Italy)
- Short URL
- First Published
- October 8, 2013
- Last Updated
- April 11, 2015