Santa Maria Maggiore Rome, Italy
Built on the site of a miraculous August snowfall, this major basilica dates from the early 5th century. The huge church is lined with Byzantine mosaics and contains many important relics.
Facts & Stats on Santa Maria Maggiore
- Go Historic ID
- Basilica di Santa Maria MaggioreSanta Maria Maggiore
- c. 420-40
Visitor & Contact Information
- Piazza di Santa Maria Maggiore
- 41.897574° N, 12.498464° E
Resources for Santa Maria Maggiore
- Blue Guide Rome, 10th ed.
- The Churches and Catacombs of Early Christian Rome: A Comprehensive Guide Includes details on all mosaics.
Table of Contents
About This Listing
- Last Updated
- February 4, 2015
- First Published
- October 8, 2013
- Submitted by
- Holly Hayes
- Santa Maria Maggiore - Rome, Italy