Archive of the Indies
Capela dos Ossos (Bone Chapel)
Part of a Franciscan church, the remarkable Chapel of Bones was lined with human bones and skulls in the 16th century as a reminder of immortality.
This lovely plaza is a masterpiece of urban architecture designed almost entirely by Michelangelo in the 16th century.
Cathedral of the Archangel
Arkhangelsky Sobor was built 1505-08 by an Italian architect. Inside are frescoes by Russian artists from the 16th and 17th centuries.
Chiesa del Gesù
This grand Renaissance church is the headquarters of the Jesuits and has served as the model for Jesuit churches everywhere. It contains famous ceiling frescoes and the tomb of St. Ignatius, the order's founder.
Church of St Nicholas
Rotherfield Greys, England, UK
Church and chapel. Romanesque, early C17 chapel, restoration in 1865 by W. Woodman.
Church of St. Mary of the Angels and the Martyrs
This interesting basilica incorporates the remains of the extensive Baths of Diocletian. Inside are works of medieval and modern art and an astronomical gnomon.
Church of St. Sebastian
Paolo Veronese spent a large part of his life decorating this unassuming 16th-century church, and was buried among his masterpieces.
Church of the Holy Spirit
Located south of the Arno in Florence, this Brunelleschi creation was described by Bernini as the most beautiful church in the world. Inside are 38 chapels and 35 columns, all perfectly placed.
The Hofkirche in Innsbruck is a royal mausoleum built in 1553. It contains the ornate black marble tomb of Emperor Maximilian I surrounded by larger-than-life bronze sculptures of his ancestors.
This magnificent cathedral is notable for its revolutionary dome designed by Brunelleschi (1436), its tall campanile by Giotto, fine marble exterior and splendid baptistery. Inside, the Duomo is a veritable museum of Renaissance art.
The Fuggerkappelle, the burial chapel of the Fuggers, is the earliest example of Renaissance architecture in Germany. Endowed by Ulrich and Jacob Fugger in 1509 for themselves and their deceased brother, it features marble pavement, an organ with painted shutters, stained glass, choir stalls, a sculptural group of The Lamentation over the Dead Christ and memorial relief tablets designed after Durer woodcuts.