Lendal Hill House
Waterworks, now offices. Two builds of late C18, incorporating length of rebuilt city wall; mid C19 alterations. For the York Waterworks Co.
East Lodge of Lendal Bridge; Lendal Bridge and Attached Tollhouses
Includes: East Lodge of Lendal Bridge MUSEUM STREET. Bridge, abutments and approach ramps; flight of steps attached to east abutment on upstream side; tollhouse attached to each end of bridge on downstream side; balustraded garden railings attached to west bank tollhouse. 1861-63; strengthened 1910.
Former Waterworks Engine House at Rear of Lendal Hill House
Pump engine house, now offices. 1836, converted in 1854; further alteration later. For the York Waterworks Company.
River House and Attached Area Walls and Railings
Club and offices: attached area wall and railings. 1868. By CJ Parnell for The Yorkshire Club.
City Wall From Lendall Hill House to Lodge, Museum Gardens
Defensive wall approximately 45 metres long from Lendal Hill House, Museum Street (qv) to The Lodge, Museum Gardens (qv). 1250-70, partly rebuilt 1874. Magnesian limestone ashlar.
The Lodge and Attached Gates and Gate Piers
Lodge; attached gates and gate piers. Lodge 1874, gates and gate piers 1879. By George Fowler Jones for The Yorkshire Philosophical Society; gates probably manufactured by the Walker Foundry.
Club Chambers and Railings Attached at Front
Offices; attached area wall and railings at front. 1875. By George Fowler Jones.
Electricity Sub Station
Electricity sub station. Early C20. Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings: chamfered parapet masks roof.
Congregational chapel; now restaurant, shops and amusement arcade. 1816; converted and altered 1929, and later. By JP Pritchett.
4A and 4b, Lendal
Offices. Early C18 and mid C19, with C20 alteration. Rear of C18 orange-red brick in stretcher bond, orange-grey brick in random bond elsewhere, with orange brick dressings; timber doorcase; slate roof, hipped towards river, with brick stack.
House, now bank and offices. c1840 incorporating remains of C17 house; C20 modernisation, alteration and shopfront. MATERIALS: front of orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond: right return ground floor of rusticated red brickwork on chamfered stone plinth, first floor of red brick in random bond, and second floor as front, in stretcher bond: timber shopfront.
Drinking fountain. Dated 1880. Sandstone with granite shafts and bowl; stone flag roof.
Numbers 10, 12 and 14 and Carriage Gates Attached to Number 14
Alternatively known as: Nos.11, 13 AND 15 LENDEL. Pair of houses; now bank, shop and offices: carriage gates attached to rear of carriageway beneath No.14. Houses early C18; converted to offices and shops c1880; No.12 converted to bank 1959.
St Leonards Hospital Remains
Ruined remains of chapel, infirmary and entrance passage of St Leonard's Hospital. c1240. Magnesian limestone.
Municipal offices and Council Chamber. 1889-91 with slightly later extension. By EG Mawbey and Alfred Creer, City Surveyors.
Gates and Railings c. 20 M SW of Number 9 Judges Lodging
Wall, railings and gates forming boundary to forecourt to The Judge's Lodging (qv). c1853. By William Walker.
Multangular Tower and Wall Attached to SE
Defensive tower and length of wall approximately 25 metres long forming west angle tower and south-west wall of the Roman legionary fortress of Eboracum; incorporated later into the defences of the medieval city. c300 AD; tower raised in late C13; excavated 1831; restored 1960. Roman masonry in small limestone blocks laced with bonding courses of red tile; tower raised in larger ashlar blocks.
Number 26 and Lendal Cellars Public House
Wine merchant's premises; now offices and public house. Early C19 with later C19 extension, incorporating late C17 and mid C18 cellars; altered C20. Red brick in stretcher bond, mostly cement rendered; timber porch; cement-tiled roofs with brick stacks.
Guildhall, Common Hall Lane, Council Hall and Wall Containing Entrance to Lane
Guildhall, Common Hall Lane and Council Hall: boundary wall with The Lendal Cellars Public House, Lendal (qv) containing entrance to Common Hall Lane. Guildhall 1449- 59, restored in 1960 following extensive damage in air raid of 1942; Council Hall of 1808-09. Wall various dates incorporating medieval work on Lendal Cellars side.
Office building. Late C19, refurbished 1994. Orange brick in Flemish bond banded in black brick and with yellow brick cornice; stone doorcase and dressings; brick stacks to stone-coped slate roof.