The 14th-century cloister is a major highlight of Gloucester Cathedral. Its fan vaults are the oldest and finest in Europe, and the galleries enclose a peaceful garden. The cloister portrayed Hogwarts School in the filming of *Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone*.
5, Millers Green
Stable and later a washhouse, now a small house. Late C16, incorporating medieval masonry wall on south side, C18 alterations, converted to a house in C19. Rubble, mostly reused medieval, with stone dressings, plain tiles on front-gabled roof and lean-to roof at rear against south side of No.4B Miller's Green (qv).
Abbot's Lodging in the former Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, from c1325 the Prior's Lodging, from 1541 the Deanery of Gloucester Cathedral, and from 1941 diocesan offices, now offices, reception rooms and restaurant. Early and mid C12 with major additions and alterations in early C13, C14 and C15; refitted internally in late C16, extensively restored with some alterations, 1863 to 1870, by Fulljames and Waller for Dean Law; restoration c1962 by Waller and Ashwell. Ashlar and rubble, timber frame
Numbers 6a, 6B and 6C and Attached Forecourt Walls
House, now three flats. 1687 for Thomas Burgis, incorporating some medieval masonry walls; C18, C19 and C20 alterations. C19 roughcast on brick, end-gabled tiled roof with C20 eaves cornice replacing earlier parapet, two hipped dormers, brick gable-end stacks.
3, Millers Green
House. Reputed to incorporate remains of the great kitchen of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, built in C12; substantially remodelled in C14 and in C16 known as the Common Kitchen; converted to house in late C16, altered in early C17, and partially refitted in 1725-31 for the leaseholder, Barbara Catchmay; later minor alterations. Stone, rendered brick and timber-frame, cross-gabled slate roofs, brick stacks.
4a, Millers Green
House. 1616; with late medieval origins substantially remodelled in C18 and in early C19, minor C20 alterations. Until late C19 Nos 4A & 4B Miller's Green were the Schoolmaster's and Usher's houses but then united as one house until sub-divided again as two houses in 1986.
Passage From Cathedral Cloisters to Former Monastic Infirmary
Passage or slype; part of the former conventual buildings of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter. Early C13. Ashlar and rubble.
4b, Millers Green
Public house, mid C19 with early C20 interior alterations. Red brick in English Garden Wall bond, slate roof, painted brick plinth. Rectilinear plan on corner site, rounded to corner.
Little Cloister House
Part of the conventual buildings of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, now public school house, part of the King's School (qv). C13 with substantial C15 additions, C16 conversion to house and later alterations. Ashlar, timber frame and brick, tiled roof, brick stacks.
Founded in 1100 as a Norman abbey, Gloucester Cathedral boasts a huge medieval stained glass window, an elegant interior and one of the finest cloisters in the country. Here William I ordered the Domesday Book and scenes from the Harry Potter movies were filmed.
Remains of the Infirmary Cloister (Little Cloister) of the former Benedictine Abbey of St Peter; item includes the west alley of the cloister below the east side of Litte Cloister House (qv). Early C15, except for the garth walls the east and west alleys demolished c1650, the remains restored in C20. Ashlar, lean-to possibly lead covered roof above the south alley.
Kings School Gymnasium
Gymnasium. 1852. FS Waller for the King's School in a style modelled on late C14 work in the cathedral church.
Cathedral Chapter House
The chapter house of the former Benedictine Priory of St Peter, now the chapter house of the Cathedral Church of the Holy and Indivisible Trinity (qv). c1100, largely rebuilt late C12, and altered c1380. Ashlar, stone slate roof with coped gables.
Number 7 and Attached Wall
House, the upper floor and attic converted to a separate flat. 1667-70, for William Lambe, gentleman. Incorporates medieval walls; major C18 and early C19 alterations and extension.
Cathedral Treasury, Vestry and Library
Cathedral treasury and cathedral library. c1100, late C12 and C14, restored in C19 and C20. Ashlar and rubble, gabled stone slate roof.
Railings to School Playground on N Side of Gymnasium
Railings between stone piers enclosing playground on the north side of the Gymnasium of the King's School (qv). 1852. The fence runs from the north-east corner of the gymnasium to the north end of the east wall of the Infirmary Passage (qv).
Remains of Monastic Infirmary
Remains of the former Infirmary of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter. Early C13. In C17 the east end of the infirmary, formerly St Bridget's Chapel, demolished, and the west end incorporated in a cluster of tenements called Babylon; in 1860 the tenements removed and the surviving C13 masonry exposed and consolidated.
Inner Gate Adjoining Number 15 College Green
Gatehouse. C14, with C16 and C18 alterations. Rubble, ashlar and dressed stone details.
Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging
Remains of Abbot's Lodging on OS Map The Bishops of Gloucester's palace, now independent school building. 1861. By Ewan Christian, on the site of, and incorporating, some minor remains of the house built c1316 for the Abbots of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter; from 1541 used as the Bishop's Palace; in 1955 the palace converted for use as the main building of the King's School housing principally administrative offices and classrooms.
The Old Mill House
House. The west wing built as a house c1700. Probably incorporates some of the structure of the water mill of the former Abbey of St Peter which remained on the site until C17; the north wing built as a separate dwelling between 1716 and 1727; in late C18 the wings linked to form a single house; late C18 alterations.