Kimbolton Castle Places Nearby

Gatehouse to Kimbolton School

1764-66 by Robert Adam for fourth Duke of Manchester. Gatehouse linked to two flanking pavilions by single storey ranges. Red brick with Ketton stone ashlar.

George House

George House was formerly a coaching inn. In c.1700 a common street facade was added to two original timber-framed ranges at right angles to the street, each with a side passage to the south-west. Ranges to the north-west were added in C19.

Parratt's Garage

Long, timber-framed C17 range parallel to street with garage entrance to north-west. Two storeys. Timber-frame roughcast rendered with applied decorative timber.

1, Castle Green

Early C19 house, two storeys. Yellow gault brick, low pitched hipped slate roof with end stacks. Deep boarded eaves.

The Tinderbox

C17 timber-framed house with later range to rear refronted in late C19. Two storeys and attic with side passage to south- east. Rendered timber-frame.

12 and 14, High Street

C16 timber-framed house of two bays with canted tie beams. Two storeys and attics. Roughcast rendered timber-frame; steeply pitched plain tile roof with rear stack.

1 and 2, High Street

C16 timber-framed house occupying a corner position. Two storeys, possibly two original buildings sharing central passageway with later rear wing (Nos. 2 and 3 Castle Green).

1 and 3, E Street

Originally a C16 house, now two dwellings. Two storeys. Roughcast render to timber-frame; slate roof to street elevation, old plain tile roof to rear elevation and two storeyed timber-framed gabled extension.

5 and 7, High Street

Originally two C16 timber-framed buildings separated by a passage way and united by common facade in late C18. Two storeys and attics. Roughcast rendered with steeply pitched plain tile roofs.

3, High Street

Originally C16 jettied timber-framed house of two bays with side passage to north-west, refronted in early C19. Two storeys. Roughcast rendered, steeply pitched plain tile roof, ridge stack.

5, E Street

Early C18 house, symmetrical plan with side passage to south- east leading through to timber-framed rear wing. Two storeys and attics. Local brick; rendered street facade with rusticated stone quoins.

Mayes

Early C19 shop, two storeys with attics, with two, three storey mansard roofed rear wings, and later adjoining house of two storeys and four bays. Local brick, painted. Slate roof to street, old and modern tiles to wings.

Newmans

C19 shop with earlier rear wing. Two storeys, side passage to north-east. Rendered walls; low pitched slate roof, ridge stack to north-west.

7, E Street

Dated 1733 on stone plaque in north-west gable wall. Two storeys and attic. Double pile house, symmetrical facade with C19 two storey rear wing attached to possibly an early C18 stable block now converted to domestic use.

The New Sun Public House

Shop and inn with altered C18 street facade to original C16 timber-framed jettied building with chimney stack dated 15 on mantel beam. Two storeys with attics. Brick and timber-frame rendered on street facade.