Newby Hall is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
Listed Building Details
The following amendments should be made to the entry for Newby Hall, Newby Park, Newby with Mulwith (Item 1/28):-
Line 1 of the list description should be amended to read:- 'Country house. Completed by 1697 (Morris, p97) for Sir Edward Blackett, possibly to.....
Line 62 of the list description should be amended to read:- 'organ, possibly by James 'Athaeneum' Stewart, stands against the south wall' .
Line 83 of the list description should be amended to read:- 'bookcases by Belwood remains in the withdrawing room, after extensive C19 and'....
Lines 146, 147, 148, 149, 150and 151 of the list description should be amended to read:- 'Royal and Fountains Abbey Estate of the Vyner family. Mary Vyner inherited Newby in 1915 having married Lord Alwyne Compton in 1866 (he died in 1911); they were the grandparents of the present owner. J Hodgson, History of Northumberland, (1827) Reprinted 1973, Vol 2, p 258. Robin Compton, Guide to Newby Hall, 1987. Jill Low, 'William Belwood: Architect and Surveyor', YAJ 56, 1984, p 131. C. Morris (ed), The Illustrated Journeys of Celia Fiennes, 1685-c1712, (1982), pp96-97. J Cornforth, 'Newby in the 19th Century', Country Life, 25 December 1980, p 2406.
SE 36 NW NEWBY WITH MULWITH NEWBY PARK
1/28 Newby Hall (formerly listed with stables) 23.4.52
Country house. c1695-1705 for Sir Edward Blackett, possibly to designs by Sir Christopher Wren; north and south wings added on east side c1775 - the ground floor by John Carr, upper storeys added by William Belwood pre 1785 and house reversed by addition of entrance porch on east side, the interior remodelled at the same time, to designs by Robert Adam and William Belwood, all for William Weddell. The west side extended northwards by the addition of a single-storey dining room in 1808 by John Shaw with contributions by Thomas Weddell Robinson, 3rd Lord Grantham and Earl de Grey for whom it was built. Upper storey added to dining room and northern range of service rooms added late C19 for Lady Mary and Robert de Grey Vyner. Red-brown brick, Flemish bond, ashlar quoins and dressings, grey slate roofs, wrought- iron details. The original building is a 3-storey, 9 x 5 bay block, with a central entrance (now window) to the west side, the entrance to the house now to centre of east side; wings are of 2 storeys and 7 bays. The added north dining room is of 3 x 2 bays and 2 storeys high, facing west. Original house, west front: the 2 outer and central bays project and all are defined by ashlar quoins. Central doorway, now a window, flanked by paired Corinthian columns supporting richly carved entablature and a broken segmental pediment; an entablature with a segmental pediment over to the first floor of central bay. Fenestration: unequally hung 15-pane sashes to ground and first floors, 9-pane unequally hung sashes to second floor, all with moulded sills, and in eared architraves,those to ground and first floors with keystones. Deep moulded string courses at first- and second-floor levels continuous round the building, bracketed eaves cornices and balustraded parapet with bulbous balusters. Banded stacks flank the central bay and bays 3 and 7. To left - added range: quoins; central 3-window section breaks forward, central glazed door flanked by 15-pane sashes, recessed panels above. Added first floor: central glazed door flanked by plate-glass sashes, wrought-iron balcony. High parapet with balustraded top, hipped roof, corniced stack left. East front, main entrance: central 6-panel double door under a fanlight with flanking pilasters. Porch: paired Ionic columns, entablature and cornice, blocking course carved with scrolls and swags. The porch is flanked by a railing composed of an anthemion frieze in wrought-iron, with bands of Greek key and guilloche motifs; the railings linked to a rectangular and a square pier on each sid