Lodge at Main Gate with Attached Yard Wall and Gatepiers
Chesters Roman Fort
Chesters Roman Fort, originally known as Cilurnum, was built around 124 CE as part of Hadrian's Wall in northern England. Its ruins include calvary barracks, a riverside bath house, and other structures scattered across a peaceful rural landscape. The English Heritage site includes Chesters Museum, a listed building displaying Roman tombstones and other artifacts.
Entrance Screen and Gates to Chesters
Entrance screen and gates, c.1891 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar, with channeled rustication to piers, wrought iron. Stepped quadrant plan.
Old Lodge 50 M W of Chesters Main Entrance
Marker or Boundary Stone 100 M N of Chesters
Country house, 1771 by John Carr for John Clayton, remodelled with major extensions 1891 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar; Lakeland slate roofs. Square 1771 block with 5 1891 wings, 3 set diagonally at angles and 2 to rear; extensions in earlier C18 style.South front in 3 parts: centre is 1771 house, 3 storeys, 4 bays, symmetrical.
Terrace Walls to S of Chesters
Terrace walls, probably early C20. Drystone, in irregular courses, with cut dressings. Flat coped retaining wall, decreasing in height at front, around circular lawn.
Stable Block 200 M N of Chesters
The Butlers Cottage W of Chesters Stables with Attached Yard Wall and Outbuilding to Rear
House, late C19 probably by Norman Shaw. Squared tooled stone with tooled ashlar quoins and dressings; yard walls snecked stone. Graduated Lakeland slate roof.
Stable 5 M E of Forge Cottage
House, formerly a pair of cottages. Late C18. Coursed rubble with roughly- shaped quoins and cut dressings; stone slate roof.
The George Inn
Hotel. Mid C18 extended C19. Roughly-squared stone with dressings, C19 parts snecked stone; Welsh slate roof.
Chollerford Bridge over River N Tyne
Roadside Wall and Gate Piers to E and S of Lincoln Hill House
Wall and piers, probably c.1800. Squared stone with ashlar dressings. Drive entrance flanked by square tooled ashlar piers with pyramidal caps, linked to similar outer piers by quadrant wall with low gabled coping.
Front Garden Walls to Little Walwick with Attached Drinking Troughs
Walls and attached drinking troughs, C19. Roughly-coursed stone with dressings, ceramic troughs. Wall with arched coping and central gateway with arched monolithic tooled-and-margined piers; similar piers to wider blocked gateway at right.
House, early C18 extended C19. Coursed large rubble with roughly-shaped quoins and tooled dressings; Lakeland slate roof, except for stone slates on rear wing. South elevation in 3 sections.
Dovecote and Attached Garden Walls to E of House
Lincoln Hill House
House, dated 1799 on lintel, incorporating earlier C18 work in east wing; west wing rebuilt late C19. 1799 house rubble with ashlar front, east wing coursed rubble, west wing snecked tooled stone; cut dressings. Welsh slate roofs.
Outbuildings Adjacent to W End of Lincoln Hill House with Attached Wall
Outbuildings. Mid-C19 remodelling of C18 fabric. Rubble with cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs.
The Round House 30 M W of Humshaugh Church of England Primary School
Playground shelter with dovecote, probably c.1833. Rubble with tooled-and- margined quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof. Semi-octagonal plan.