Railings and Gates Attached to NE Corner of York Minster
Railings extending approximately 50 metres north-west from north-east corner of York Minster (qv) and incorporating gate piers and carriage and foot gates. c1860. Cast-iron railings, gates and gate piers; stone wall and pier.
Wall, Gates and Gate Piers c. 90 M SW of Number 1
Wall, gates and gate piers forming south-west boundary of garden to Gray's Court (qv). Wall and gates c1900, re-using C17 gate piers. Wall of reused magnesian limestone, irregularly coursed; ashlar gate piers and cast-iron gates.
Minster Song School (Part)
House, now part of school. c1755; altered and re-roofed in early C19. For Dean John Fountayne.
Church of St Michael Le Belfrey
Parish church. 1525-37 with vestry, west front and bellcote of 1867. C19 alterations by G Fowler Jones.
Column c. 4 M NE of Number 9
Column from the north-east colonnade of the Roman headquarters building. Originally constructed c100 AD by Legion IX, re-assembled and re-used by Legion VI in C4; erected in present location 1971. Gritstone.
3-9, Minster Gates
Includes: No.11 MINSTER YARD. Five houses; now three shops. Early C18 with early C19 alterations and shopfronts: further alterations later.
12, Minster Yard
Offices. c1840, incorporating late C18 structure. By JB Pritchett for the Dean and Chapter.
Railings and Gates Attached to NW Corner of York Minster
Pedestrian and carriage gates, gate piers and railings forming entrance and southern boundary to Dean's Park. 1839, repositioned in 1863. By the Walker Foundry.
Lamp Standard c. 10 M W of York Minster
Lamp standard. c1860. Manufactured by the Walker Foundry, Walmgate, York.
Number 4 and Attached Garden Wall, Gate and Railings at Front and Back
House, attached front garden wall, railings and gate; railings attached to back steps. Early C18, with early C19 alterations: restored 1992. MATERIALS: front of orange-brown brick in Flemish bond with timber doorcase and eaves cornice; rear of various brick in random bond with cogged brick cornice; right return red brick in English garden wall bond.
10, Minster Gates
One of pair of houses, now shop and offices. c1755 with early C19 shopfront; raised and altered further in mid C19 with demolition of second house. Orange-grey brick in Flemish bond, raised in orange brick; right side rendered; timber shopfront and guttering on paired modillions; tiled roof and brick stack.
Gates and Railings to Deans Park
Gates and railings forming entrances and boundaries to Dean's Park on north-east side. 1839; repositioned 1863 and later. By the Walker Foundry.
40, Low Petergate
Includes: No.40 LOW PETERGATE. Three houses and shops. c1840 with later alterations.
1, Chapter House Street
Formerly known as: No.7 CHAPTER HOUSE STREET. House, part now used as workshop. C15 or earlier in origin; extensively remodelled in early C18; partly raised and altered further c1840 and later.
Minster Song School (Part)
Formerly known as: The Minster Chamber MINSTER YARD. Pair of houses, now part of school. 1837 with later alteration and extension.
1, Minster Gates
Formerly known as: Nos.81, 82 AND 83 HIGH PETERGATE. Includes: No.38 HIGH PETERGATE. Two shops and flat.
6, Minster Yard
House, now school. Early C18, raised and re-roofed 1786; small late C19 extension. MATERIALS: front and right return painted render, possibly Portland cement, on painted chamfered plinth incised to resemble ashlar; painted stone dressings; timber doorcase and cornice: rear of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on basement of squared limestone; slate hipped roof with rendered brick stacks.
3, Chapter House Street
Formerly known as: No.6 CHAPTER HOUSE STREET. House. Late C17 incorporating remains of earlier structure; later alterations.
Number 5 and Attached Front Garden Railings
House, originally part of a longer range of tenements; attached front garden railings. Early C19, incorporating part range c1300, possibly C15 range, and c1600 wing; later C19 alteration. All parts timber-framed; entrance front of render incised to resemble panelling; street front part coursed limestone, part buff-orange brick in Flemish bond.
Purey Cust Lodge, Attached Walls and Gateways
Lodge, walls and gateways to the Minster Stoneyard; now entrance and boundary walls to garden of the Purey Cust Chambers (qv). 1845, adopted as garden walls c1916. MATERIALS: lodge of orange-brown and orange-grey brick in various bonds and magnesian limestone ashlar: pent pantile roof has brick stacks.