City of Westminster, England Historic Sites and Landmarks

3,909
results
filter by keyword(s)
Page 1 of 326
Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament)Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament)
London, England, UK
1840–76

Founded in 1016 and rebuilt in the 1800s, the Palace of Westminster has housed the British Parliament since 1259. Parliamentary sessions are open to the public and tours are available regularly.

Church of St MaryleboneChurch of St Marylebone
London, England, UK

Parish church. 1813-18 by Thomas Hardwick; the chancel remodelled by Thomas Harris, 1883-84. Portland stone; slate roof.

1-11, Belgrave Square SW11-11, Belgrave Square SW1
London, England, UK

Grand terrace of houses. Circa 1825. George Basevi. Stucco. Roofs not visible. Graeco-Roman style. One of four grand terraces facing Belgrave Square.

Royal Opera HouseRoyal Opera House
London, England, UK

Opera house. Rebuild of 1857-58 by E.M. Barry.

National GalleryNational Gallery
London, England, UK

The Classical-style National Gallery was built in 1832-38 by William Wilkins to be the dominant feature of Trafalgar Square and to house the newly purchased Angerstein Collection.

Jewel TowerJewel Tower
London, England

Also known as the Jewel House and the King's Privy Wardrobe, the Jewel Tower was built in 1364 to hold King Edward III's treasures. It is one of only two surviving buildings of the medieval Palace of Westminster and contains a 14th-century vault.

Church of St Martin in FieldsChurch of St Martin in Fields
London, England, UK

Occupying a prominent location on the east side of Trafalgar Square, the Church of St Martin-in-the-Fields (1722-26) was designed by James Gibbs in what would be a highly influential design.

Royal Albert HallRoyal Albert Hall
London, England, UK

Public hall. 1867-1871. Designed by Captain Fowke; completed by Major-General H Y D Scott.

Whitehall PalaceWhitehall Palace
London, England, UK

Whitehall was the principal royal residence from 1530, when Henry VIII seized it from Cardinal Wolsey, until its destruction by fire in 1698. Today only the Banqueting House (1619) survives.