Quick Facts on St. Anne's Church
- Short URL
- St. Anne's Church St. Anne's Church, Augsburg St.-Anna-Kirche
- Annastrasse Augsburg, Bavaria
- Main date(s)
- 48.367811° N,
- Opening hours
- May-Oct: Mon 3-6pm, Tue-Sat 10-12:30, 3-6pm, Sun 10-12:30, 3-5pm
Nov-Apr: Mon 3-5pm, Tue-Sun 10-12:30, 3-5pm
- St. Anne's Church, Augsburg, is founded by the Carmelite order.
- Addition of the Goldsmith's Chapel.
- Construction of the Fugger's Chapel.
- October 1518
- Luther meets Cardinal Cajetan in Augsburg
- St. Anne's Church in Augsburg converts to Lutheranism.
- Spire added to St. Anne's Church in Augsburg by Elias Holl.
- During the Thirty Years War, Protestants are barred from St. Anne's Church in Augsburg.
- For a second time during the Thirty Years War, Protestants are barred from St. Anne's Church. The congregation worships in the courtyard of St. Anne's College.
- St. Anne's Church, Augsburg, is restored and redesigned in the Baroque and Rococo styles.
Description of St. Anne's Church
The ceiling of the church is painted with Baroque and Rococo stuccowork and frescoes by Johann Georg Bergmüller (1747) depicting the Sermon on the Mount (representing Jesus's role as prophet) the Crucifixion (Jesus the priest) and Judgement Day (Jesus the king). The chancel contains several devotional paintings, including Christ Blessing Children by Lucas Cranach. The fine pulpit is by Heinrich Eichler.Holly Hayes
October 27, 2011
Have you visited St. Anne's Church, or do you have personal connections or insider knowledge? Please tell us about it below!