View all photos of the Church of the Pantocrator »
View larger aerial map of the Church of the Pantocrator »

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
319276
names
Church of the Pantocrator
coordinates
41.019773° N, 28.957177° E
main dates
1120 constructed
styles/periods
categories

Timeline of the Church of the Pantocrator

Essays on the Church of the Pantocrator

  • Overview

    by Holly Hayes
    October 27, 2011

    The Church of the Pantocrator is actually a composite of two churches and a chapel; together, they form the second largest church in Istanbul after the Hagia Sophia. Dedicated to St. Saviour Pantocrator, the monastery was founded by Empress Eirene, who completed the south church prior to her death in 1124. She was the first to be buried here (her sarcophagus is now in the exonarthex of the Hagia Sophia). The northern church was added by Eirene's husband, Emperor John II Comnenus, after her death. He dedicated his church to the Virgin Eleousa (Merciful or Charitable). continue reading →

Article Info

Short URL
gohist.co/319276
Submitted by
Holly Hayes
Published
October 8, 2013
Last updated
July 11, 2014

Historic Places Near the Church of the Pantocrator