Quick Facts on the Church of St Bartholomew the Great
- Short URL
- Church of St Bartholomew the Great Great St. Bart's St. Bartholomew the Great St. Bartholomew the Great, London The Priory Church of St. Bartholomew the Great
- SBG Parish Office, 1st Floor, 6-9 Kinghorn Street EC1A 7HT
- Main date(s)
- 12th, 14th cent.
- Anglicanism Anglo-Norman churches Grade I listed buildings (#1180873; Jan 04, 1950) parish churches
- 51.518905° N,
- OS Grid Reference
- TQ 31956 81711
- Opening hours
- Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm (closes 4pm Nov-Feb), Sat 10:30am-4pm; Sun 8:30am-8pm
Closed during services.
- 020 7606 5171
Description of the Church of St Bartholomew the Great
Today's visitors to Great St. Bart's enter the churchyard through a surviving fragment of the west front, surmounted by a half-timbered Tudor building. From there to the church door, a path roughly follows the site of the south nave aisle. Inside is the most intact Norman interior in London, with a suitably ancient atmosphere. The remains consist of a transept crossing, chancel, and ambulatory with large round columns. The low, wide side aisles have groin vaults. Parts of the cloister also survive, but very little trace survives of the rest of the monastic buildings.Holly Hayes
August 30, 2012
Listed Building Description
WEST SMITHFIELD EC1 1. 5002 Church of St Bartholomew the Great TQ 3181 NE 2/17 4.1.50.
2. Surviving eastern portion of church of former Augustinian Priory founded 1123. 1 bay of C12 nave plus crossing with shortened transepts. C12 apsed choir with vaulted ambulatory, C14 clerestorey and timber roof. C14 Lady Chapel etc. Early C17 brick tower to south west of crossing with small timber cupola. Good late mediaeval tomb (of founder) and other, later monuments. The whole building is much altered and rebuilt. East wall of C15 cloister has been reconstructed incorporating old fragments.
Listing NGR: TQ3195681711
Have you visited the Church of St Bartholomew the Great, or do you have personal connections or insider knowledge? Please tell us about it below!