Lindisfarne Priory Holy Island, England c. 1150
On this tidal island off the northeast coast of England, a monastery was founded in the 7th century by St. Aidan of Iona. Today it is in picturesque ruins.
Quick Facts Quick Facts on Lindisfarne Priory
- Go Historic ID
- Lindisfarne PrioryLindisfarne
- 55.669381° N, 1.801243° W
- main dates
- 1150 constructed
Durham, Jarrow, Lindisfarne and Scottish AbbeysPosted September 27, 2010 by Holly Hayes Part of: UK and Western Europe
OK, now that I have some free time in rainy Edinburgh, I'll share the fun we had on Saturday, a really busy day during which we visited no less than six great sights. Here's the route: View Larger Map Durham We slept great in our Radisson BLU Durham and had a delicious buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The…
- Brown, Michelle P.. Painted Labyrinth: The World of the Lindisfarne Gospels. British Library. 2004. Print.
- Brown, Michelle P.. The Lindisfarne Gospels and the Early Medieval World. British Library. 2010. Print.
- Backhouse, Janet. The Lindisfarne Gospels. Phaidon Press. 1994. Print.
- Brown, Michelle P.. The Lindisfarne Gospels: Society, Spirituality, and the Scribe. University of Toronto Press, Scholarly Publishing Division. 2003. Print.
- Adam, David and Monica Capoferri (illustrator). The Holy Island of Lindisfarne. Morehouse Publishing. 2009. Print.