Lindisfarne Priory Holy Island, England c. 1150
On this tidal island off the northeast coast of England, a monastery was founded in the 7th century by St. Aidan of Iona. Today it is in picturesque ruins.
Quick Facts Quick Facts on Lindisfarne Priory
- Go Historic ID
- Lindisfarne PrioryLindisfarne
- 55.669381° N, 1.801243° W
- main dates
- 1150 constructed
Day 5: Crossing Northern MontanaPosted October 19, 2014 by Holly Hayes Part of: Pacific to Mississippi Road Trip
Day 5 was mostly about making good eastward progress, so I spent most of my time behind the wheel. As usual, I had rejected the usual freeway route (I-90 in this case) in favor of a smaller highway (Highway 2), and was glad I did.
Day 4: History and Hiking in Glacier National ParkPosted October 13, 2014 by Holly Hayes Part of: Pacific to Mississippi Road Trip
104 years ago, President Taft signed a bill designating Glacier National Park as the 10th national park. Today there are over 50 national parks, but Glacier is still one of the largest and most notable. Called the "Crown of the Continent," it contains over 1 million acres of mountains, lakes, hiking trails, historic sites, and wildlife. It was designated a World Heritage Site in 1995.
Day 3: A Sunny Autumn Day in Kalispell, MontanaPosted October 7, 2014 by Holly Hayes Part of: Pacific to Mississippi Road Trip
I spent two nights in the small town of Kalispell, Montana, and had a great time. The sun was shining, the leaves were turning colors, the downtown was quiet and walkable, there were many good lodging options and interesting things to check out, and it's right next to Glacier National Park. Highly recommended.
Day 2: Spokane to KalispellPosted September 28, 2014 by Holly Hayes Part of: Pacific to Mississippi Road Trip
The first night of my road trip was spent at Spokane's historic Davenport Hotel, built in 1914. It's an impressive place with impressive history:
Day 1: Portland to SpokanePosted September 24, 2014 by Holly Hayes Part of: Pacific to Mississippi Road Trip
This is the first post in a series on a roadtrip from Oregon to Minnesota - and possibly beyond! As usual, I'm avoiding freeways, visiting historic places, staying in historic hotels, and eating in historic restaurants. The first day I drove from Portland, OR to Spokane, WA, with many stops along the way.
- Adam, David and Monica Capoferri (illustrator). The Holy Island of Lindisfarne. Morehouse Publishing. 2009. Print.
- Brown, Michelle P.. The Lindisfarne Gospels: Society, Spirituality, and the Scribe. University of Toronto Press, Scholarly Publishing Division. 2003. Print.
- Backhouse, Janet. The Lindisfarne Gospels. Phaidon Press. 1994. Print.
- Brown, Michelle P.. The Lindisfarne Gospels and the Early Medieval World. British Library. 2010. Print.
- Brown, Michelle P.. Painted Labyrinth: The World of the Lindisfarne Gospels. British Library. 2004. Print.
- Submitted by
- Holly Hayes
- October 8, 2013
- Last updated
- July 11, 2014