Quick Facts on the Old Scotch Church
- Short URL
- Old Scotch Church Old Scotch Church, Hillsboro Tualatin Plains Presbyterian Church
- 30685 Scotch Church Road Hillsboro, Oregon97124
- Hillsboro localityWashington County countyOregon stateUnited States countryNorth America continent
- Main date(s)
- Carpenter Gothic churches National Register of Historic Places (#74001723; Nov 05, 1974) religious buildings
- 45.572700° N,
- Opening hours
- Usually locked, but cemetery and grounds are always open.
- 16 November 1873
- Twelve settlers from Aberdeenshire in Scotland gather in the Columbia Academy, a four-room schoolhouse in Hillsboro, Oregon, to establish the Tualatin Plains Church. The founders nominate Rev. George Ross as pastor and William Chalmers and James Smith as elders. The congregation meets in the schoolhouse until a dedicated church building can be constructed.
- The congregation of the Tualatin Plains Church buys a two-acre site from Jacob Hoover on which to build a church. Mr. Hoover donates one of the acres and sells the other for only $25.
- 28 May 1876
- The first member of the congregation to be laid to rest in the burial ground is Margaret Smith Chalmers, the six-year-old daughter of William and Catherine Chalmers.
- 11 May 1878
- At another meeting, the congregation approves a design submitted by Mr. Balantyne, which is expected to cost $2,120 to build.
- October 1878
- Completion of Old Scotch Church in Hillsboro
- 5 November 1974
- Old Scotch Church added to National Register of Historic Places
Description of the Old Scotch Church
The Old Scotch Church occupies a scenic location in the countryside a few miles outside of Hillsboro. The little white chapel is designed in the Carpenter Gothic style, with a tall octagonal steeple, side buttresses, a steeply-sloping roof and small stained glass windows. It is oriented north, with the burial ground extending to the west and east.
The burial ground contains the graves of eight of the founding members of the church as well as Colonel Joseph Meek, mountain man and first U.S. Marshall of the Oregon Territory. He died in 1875 and was buried at his nearby homestead. When the land was sold, his remains were moved to the east cemetery of the Old Scotch Church.
October 27, 2011
Have you visited the Old Scotch Church, or do you have personal connections or insider knowledge? Please tell us about it below!