St. Sernin Basilica Toulouse, France 1080-1120
One of the finest Romanesque churches in France, pairing large and harmonious architecture with important medieval sculptures and frescoes.
Quick Facts Quick Facts on St. Sernin Basilica
- Go Historic ID
- St. Sernin BasilicaBasilica of St. SerninBasilique St-SerninSaint-SerninSt-Sernin Basilica
- 43.608531° N, 1.442103° E
- Place Saint-Sernin31000
- 05 61 21 70 18
Overviewby Holly Hayes
October 27, 2011
Once surrounded by a tranquil cloister and various monastic buildings, the Basilica of St-Sernin is no longer blessed with a very atmospheric setting. A lovely garden has been installed at the east end, but the exterior is mostly hemmed in by newer buildings and dominated by a large parking lot on the south side. Nevertheless, the exterior is a magnificent sight, especially when approached from the east end - the Romanesque chevet is one of the most harmonious in France. The rooflines of the many chapels are lined with corbels carved with human and animal figures. continue reading →
Three Nights in ToulousePosted July 10, 2008 by Holly Hayes Part of: The Great European Road Trip
Tonight is the last of three nights we've spent in Toulouse, one of the largest cities in France and capital of Europe's aerospace industry. It's actually pretty nice for a big city and we've enjoyed our stay here. It's been consistently sunny and in the upper 80s; a little hot but not nearly as bad as the South was.…
- Gray-Durant, Delia. Blue Guide Southwest France. Blue Guide. 2006. Print.
- Strafford, Peter. Romanesque Churches of France: A Traveller's Guide. Giles de la Mare. 2004. Print.
- Official Website of St. Sernin Basilica. Web. Official website.