Lascaux Caves Montignac, France c. 15,000 BCE
A famous cave complex in southwest France, the Lascaux Caves contain some of the oldest and finest prehistoric art in the world. The paintings, which mainly depict majestic animals, are around 17,000 years old.
Quick Facts Quick Facts on Lascaux Caves
- Go Historic ID
- Lascaux Caves
- 45.053668° N, 1.167544° E
- Route de la Grotte de Lascaux
- 05 53 50 70 44
- Aujoulat, Norbert. Lascaux: Movement, Space and Time. Harry N. Abrams. 2005. Print.
- Aujoulat, Norbert. Splendour of Lascaux. Thames & Hudson. 2005. Print.
- Delluc, Brigitte, Ray Delvert (photographer), and Angela Moyon (trans.). Discovering Lascaux . Éditions Sud Ouest. 1990. Print.
- Official Website of Lascaux Caves. Web. Official website.