Founded in 1509 (and named for a brass knocker shaped like a lion's nose), Brasenose College occupies three attractive quads just off Radcliffe Square. Its 17th-century chapel has splendid painted fan vaults.
- Go Historic ID
- Go Historic URL
- Short URL
- Brasenose College
- Radcliffe Square
- OX1 4AJ
- 51.753055° N, 1.254668° W
- 01865 277 830
- Date Published
- October 8, 2013
- Last Updated
- April 11, 2015
Description of Brasenose College
Brasenose College has an intimate and cozy feel that is typical of the smaller late medieval colleges. It is clustered around three main quadrangles, none very large. Entrance to the college is from Radcliffe Square.
Founding of Brasenose College, Oxford
Brasenose College, Oxford, is founded by Bishop William Smythe of Lincoln and Sir Richard Sutton to replace an academic hall of the same name.
Brasenose knocker stolen
A "brazen-nose" door knocker known as the is swiped from an academic hall, latter to become Brasenose College, by a group of Oxford dons and students. They take it to Stamford, where they hope to found a rival university.
Brasenose College purchases the house in Stamford on which the stolen brazen-nose knocker is displayed. Today it is displayed in the Hall.
Construction of the Chapel Quad, Chapel, and Library
Construction of the Chapel Quad, chapel, and library of Brasenose College during the Interregnum.
A giant visits Brasenose College
A Lancashire giant named John Middleton, better known as The Childe of Hale, visits Brasenose College (which has many Lancashire students). A life-sized portrait of him is painted and his huge hand is carved on a stone. To this day, the Brasenose College boat is always named Childe of Hale after him.