Anzy-Le-Duc Church, Anzy-le-Duc

South Exterior
view all photos »

Once part of a priory, this Burgundian church dates from the 11th century. Its attractive Romanesque architecture includes much sculptural decoration: two portals, lively corbels on the exterior and unusual capitals inside.

Go Historic ID
318214
Short URL
gohist.co/318214
Names
Anzy-Le-Duc Church
Categories
Materials
Affiliations
Heritage Lists
Address

Anzy-le-Duc, France
71110
Postcode
71110
Coordinates
46.321060° N, 4.061959° E
Phone
03 85 25 03 07
Date Published
October 8, 2013
Last Updated
April 11, 2015

Timeline

890

Foundation of the Anzy-le-Duc Priory by a local noble couple, Letbald and Altaric. The first prior is a prominent monk from Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe named Hugh, later known as St. Hugh of Poitiers. Thanks to Hugh's involvement with the creation of the Abbey of Cluny, Anzy-le-Duc will enjoy a close relationship with that great foundation.

930

St. Hugh of Poitiers dies at his priory in Anzy-le-Duc and is buried in the crypt. His relics attract many pilgrims.

1576

The tomb of St. Hugh of Poitiers at Anzy-le-Duc Church is descrated by Huguenots.

1594

Anzy-le-Duc Church is set on fire during the Wars of Religion.

1652

Lightning damages the bell tower.

1789

The priory of Anzy-le-Duc is dissolved and the church is abandoned.

1808

Four inhabitants of Anzy-le-Duc buy the abandoned priory church.

1818

The former priory church, closed in 1789, is once again in use as the village parish church dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption.

1852

Anzy-le-Duc Church is classified as a historic building.

June 9, 2008