- Go Historic ID
- May 7, 1574
Pope Innocent X (r. 1644-55) commissions a monumental fountain to support the ancient obelisk he moved from the Circus of Maxentius to the Piazza Navona. He excludes the well-known sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini from his request for designs, but Bernini cr
Pope Innocent X grants the commission for the Fountain of the Four Rivers in the Piazza Navona to Gian Lorenzo Bernini, after being shown the artist's designs by Bernini's nephew.