Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
691811
Names
Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners
Coordinates
50.8010520° N, 1.1059260° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners
Location map of Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners
Aerial view of Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

13 Aug 1999

Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at NW and SW Corners is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1272265
Grade
II*
Name
NUMBER 17 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/64) AND BOLLARDS AT NORTH WEST AND SOUTH WEST CORNERS
Location
NUMBER 17 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/64) AND BOLLARDS AT NORTH WEST AND SOUTH WEST CORNERS, ANCHOR LANE
District
City of Portsmouth
Grid Reference
SU 63101 00546

SU 6300 NW ANCHOR LANE (South side) 774-1/29/188 HM Naval base No 17 Store (Building No 1/64) and bollards at NW and SW corners

GV II*

Hemp store, now store. Dated 1781, much altered mid-late C20. Red brick in English bond with blue headers to 2nd floor and forming band above ground floor. C20 flat-topped mansard roof of plain tiles with rooflight replaces former double-pitched roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 14 bays. Ashlar plinth on south side. Buttresses to ground floor, each with brick table and stepped offset head. Windows have segmental brick arches, replacement soldier-brick arches on 2nd floor, projecting sills, C20 metal windows. Large, inserted, C20 loading doors with folding metal doors. Boxed eaves. On north side, board door at right end; bays 8 and 10 blind. At east end, single-storey 1-bay addition; above it, gable of main range has date picked out in blue headers. INTERIOR: replacement rivetted steel roof trusses. Replacement internal structure. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: at north-west and south-west corners are bollards formed of upended cannon barrels, probably early-mid C19 reused as bollards mid-late C19; muzzles blocked, that of south-western bollard by a cannon ball. HISTORY: originally called the East Hemp House, and built as part of the rebuilding of the ropery after the fire of 1770. It is similar in design to the adjacent Nos 16 and 15 Stores (qqv). Though much altered compared with the roperies at Chatham and Devonport, this is still one of the largest integrated groups of C18 industrial buildings in the country...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “NUMBER 17 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/64) AND BOLLARDS AT NORTH WEST AND SOUTH WEST CORNERS.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1272265>