The Beneficial School

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
691797
Names
The Beneficial School
Coordinates
50.7981040° N, 1.1027860° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of The Beneficial School
Location map of The Beneficial School. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of The Beneficial School
Aerial view of The Beneficial School. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

10 Jan 1953

The Beneficial School designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

The Beneficial School is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1271859
Grade
II*
Name
THE BENEFICIAL SCHOOL
Location
THE BENEFICIAL SCHOOL, KENT STREET
District
City of Portsmouth
Grid Reference
SU 63327 00221

PORTSMOUTH

SU6300 KENT STREET, Portsea 774-1/8/299 (North side) 10/01/53 The Beneficial School

II*

School, now training centre. 1784, extended 1836, restored late C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, ground floor front stucco. Welsh slated roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 bays (centre bay wide). Ground floor horizontal rusticated. At centre recessed 2-leaf door, 12 fielded panels under large fanlight with radial looped glazing bars running into it from centre, panelled reveal and soffit, flanking engaged Doric columns, broken entablature and broken pediment. On left and right is a 6-pane sash set under rusticated flat arch. At centre of first floor is a large Venetian window running through first and second floors with full width outer arch light, centre 15-pane unequal sash, 3-pane round-headed light over set under round stuccoed arch, flanking 8-pane sashes, articulating pilasters have fluting and leaf decorations to necking, broken entablature has frieze with flukes and paterae, sill has consoles in line with pilasters; 12-pane sashes flanking set under flat gauged brick arches. Facing brick dentil pediment and cornice with stone capping contains tablet inscribed "This building was erected in 1784 by the Beneficial Society for their Free School for Boys established 1755 and enlarged 1836 for the purpose of adding a Girls School to the Institution". Left return (west elevation) has 22 bays, the 7 bays to the right was the extent of the original school prior to extension...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “THE BENEFICIAL SCHOOL.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1271859>