Connaught Drill Hall (Ta Centre) National Heritage List Data

Connaught Drill Hall (Ta Centre) is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

National Heritage List for England Facts

List Entry ID
1246339
Grade
II
Name
CONNAUGHT DRILL HALL (TA CENTRE)
Location
CONNAUGHT DRILL HALL (TA CENTRE), STANHOPE ROAD
District
City of Portsmouth
Grid Reference
SU 64085 00382

National Heritage List for England Description

SU400SW STANHOPE ROAD 774-1/21/10017 Connaught Drill Hall (TA Centre) 23-APR-01

II

Territorial Army drill hall. 1901; by A. Bone; damaged in 1941 and partly rebuilt after the Second World War. Stock brick with bands of red brick and some Portland stone dressings; red brick rebuilt front with concrete dressings. Sheet steel roof. PLAN: Large rectangular drill hall with range of offices at the south front and on the west side, and originally with a tower on the SW corner; the tower and the south offices were destroyed in an air raid in 1941, and rebuilt after the War without the tower. Tudor style. EXTERIOR: Rebuilt 2-storey embattled and curved south front, stepped back on left SW corner. The 2 and 3-storey range on west side breaks forwards on right, has embattled parapet, tall sash windows with glazing bars and stone lintels and cills; first floor corbelled out to right and with round corner turret on left NW corner with arrow-loop and corbelled castellation. Rear, north gable of drill hall has corbelled verges, large 4-light Diocletian window and splayed left NE corner with stepped parapet. East side of drill hall has six very tall segmental-headed windows with replaced glazing, the shorter second window from left has segmental arch doorway below with stepped string course above. INTERIOR: Large drill hall with 7-bay arched braced-girder steel roof, the spandrels of the trusses filled with circles, braced-girder purlins, truss posts inscribed 'H. Handyside and Co. Ltd., Derby and London'; galleries on south and west sides of hall on iron brackets and with iron balustrades. Offices on south and west sides, one on first floor of west side has cable-moulding to dado.