Dockyard Extension Wall

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
691776
Names
Dockyard Extension Wall
Coordinates
50.8034930° N, 1.0931380° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Dockyard Extension Wall
Location map of Dockyard Extension Wall. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Dockyard Extension Wall
Aerial view of Dockyard Extension Wall. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

13 Aug 1999

Dockyard Extension Wall designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Dockyard Extension Wall is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1244592
Grade
II
Name
DOCKYARD EXTENSION WALL
Location
DOCKYARD EXTENSION WALL, CIRCULAR ROADDOCKYARD EXTENSION WALL, FLATHOUSE ROAD
District
City of Portsmouth
Grid Reference
SU 63999 00829

SU 6401 CIRCULAR ROAD HM Naval Base Dockyard Extension Wall 774-1/7/190

GV II

Includes: Dockyard Extension Wall, FLATHOUSE ROAD HM NAVAL BASE Dockyard wall. c1864 -1870 (Riley) with C20 alterations. Rubblestone and red brick. Chamfered plinth. Quoined brick pilaster strips and brick bands. Domed brick coping. Wall is approx. 4 metres high and at irregular intervals ramps up over round archways which give access to gun bastions which on the outer face of the wall are expressed as corbelled semi- circular oriels with 3 gun slits and coping. At intervals there are bricked-up quoined doorways with concreted lintels. Opposite building No. 3/88 (not included) is the old Pitt Street Gate which has rectangular piers of banded brick and concrete blocks with flat concrete coping and lamps; 2-leaf board gate with iron spikes. Near the Unicorn Gate ( qv) on the inner side of the wall is a reset small iron cupboard having strap- hinged door with circular vents and central hole. Originally the cupboard was set nearer the Unicorn Gate and in the outer face of the wall; inside was a gas jet from which pipes could be lit. HISTORY: the cupboard was on the outside of the wall since smoking and carrying of matches was forbidden inside the dockyard. The wall was built as part of the dockyard extension programme which was begun in 1864, the scheme for it being drawn up by Colonel Sir Andrew Clarke (Royal Engineers). (Sources: The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 418; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 22, 25)...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “DOCKYARD EXTENSION WALL.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1244592>