Fredericks Battery

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
691774
Names
Fredericks Battery
Coordinates
50.8074880° N, 1.0937600° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Fredericks Battery
Location map of Fredericks Battery. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Fredericks Battery
Aerial view of Fredericks Battery. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

13 Aug 1999

Fredericks Battery designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Fredericks Battery is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1244588
Grade
II
Name
FREDERICKS BATTERY
Location
FREDERICKS BATTERY, CIRCULAR ROAD
District
City of Portsmouth
Grid Reference
SU 63950 01272

SU 60 SW CIRCULAR ROAD (North side) 774-1/3/191 HM Naval Base Frederick's Battery

GV II

Part of dockyard sea defence wall. Built 1843-48, under direction of Captain H James, RE; dismantled and re-erected in present position 1867 (Patterson, p28). Coursed squared stone, laid randomly, with ashlar dressings. Approx. 50 metre length of wall with end towers. Towers of 2 stages (to north) and 3 stages (to south), battered, and with round- arched openings (some blocked), and vertical and looped cruciform slits. Wall has walkway backed by parapet wall carried on 7 vaulted casemates (6 segmental-arched, 1 round-arched), the rear wall of each casemate having a blocked rectangular opening, probably coal shute hole (the casements were used as coal stores at one stage), and the central one a large entrance way. Projecting section of walling at right end has slits over 4 round-arched entrances, the 2 at centre blocked, the outer 2 with ashlar tympana carved with date 1886, and cipher. HISTORY: the battery was located originally just to the west of the present No.15 dock (not listed, Patterson, p25). At the time of the re- erection of the battery, it extended to the Round Tower (qv) but the northern end was demolished in 1912 to make way for a rail link (Riley). (Sources: The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 417 ; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 21, 25, 26 ; A Military Heritage: Patterson BH: A History of Portsmouth & Portsea Town Fortifications: Portsmouth: 1984: 25,28)...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “FREDERICKS BATTERY.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1244588>