St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
684599
Names
St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates
Coordinates
51.7671260° N, 1.2627750° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates
Location map of St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates
Aerial view of St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

7 Oct 2008

St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1392937
Grade
II
Name
ST HUGH'S COLLEGE LODGES AND GATES
Location
ST HUGH'S COLLEGE LODGES AND GATES, ST MARGARET'S ROAD
District
Oxford
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 50970 07862



612/1/10115 ST MARGARET'S ROAD 07-OCT-08 St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates

II BUILDING: Pair of lodges, with attached gate piers and gates and attached boundary walls. 1914-16. Architect: H.T. Buckland and W. Haywood

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical composition in Baroque style. Lodges are ashlar, with hipped tiled roofs. Small square-plan buildings with plinth bands, moulded cornices and central panelled chimneys. One storey and attic. Fronts to road have 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor, and similar sash in tall dormer with carved stone side scrolls and segmental pediment. Sides each have single casement, 8-panel door, and sash in flat-roofed dormer with plain lead cheeks. 2 similar sashes and casement to rear of west lodge; gabled projection to rear of east lodge. All ground-floor openings inset in moulded surrounds with moulded stops. Cast iron rainwater hoppers. Ashlar gate-piers with moulded panels and pedimented caps. Moulded double scrolls cap pilasters to lodges. Central cast iron carriage gates. Pedestrian side gates between railings on ashlar dwarf walls. Short length of ashlar wall to east. High rubble stone boundary wall extends along St. Margaret's Road to west.

INTERIORS: Not seen.

HISTORY: St. Hugh's was founded as St. Hugh's Hall in 1886 for female students and was the third such foundation at Oxford. In 1911 it became a college by name, and in 1959 a full college.

SOURCES: J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (1974), 247...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “ST HUGH'S COLLEGE LODGES AND GATES.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392937>