- 7 Oct 2008
St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates designated a Grade II listed building
St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- ST HUGH'S COLLEGE LODGES AND GATES
- ST HUGH'S COLLEGE LODGES AND GATES, ST MARGARET'S ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 50970 07862
612/1/10115 ST MARGARET'S ROAD 07-OCT-08 St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates
II BUILDING: Pair of lodges, with attached gate piers and gates and attached boundary walls. 1914-16. Architect: H.T. Buckland and W. Haywood
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical composition in Baroque style. Lodges are ashlar, with hipped tiled roofs. Small square-plan buildings with plinth bands, moulded cornices and central panelled chimneys. One storey and attic. Fronts to road have 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor, and similar sash in tall dormer with carved stone side scrolls and segmental pediment. Sides each have single casement, 8-panel door, and sash in flat-roofed dormer with plain lead cheeks. 2 similar sashes and casement to rear of west lodge; gabled projection to rear of east lodge. All ground-floor openings inset in moulded surrounds with moulded stops. Cast iron rainwater hoppers. Ashlar gate-piers with moulded panels and pedimented caps. Moulded double scrolls cap pilasters to lodges. Central cast iron carriage gates. Pedestrian side gates between railings on ashlar dwarf walls. Short length of ashlar wall to east. High rubble stone boundary wall extends along St. Margaret's Road to west.
INTERIORS: Not seen.
HISTORY: St. Hugh's was founded as St. Hugh's Hall in 1886 for female students and was the third such foundation at Oxford. In 1911 it became a college by name, and in 1959 a full college.
SOURCES: J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (1974), 247...
- St Hugh's College Main Building 0.000 mi away
- St Hugh's College Kenyon Building 0.080 mi away
- 89, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.081 mi away
- 105, Banbury Road 0.092 mi away
- 68 and 70, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.094 mi away
- 72, Woodstock Road, Oxford 0.127 mi away
- 79, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.160 mi away
- Letterbox at W End of Crescent Garden, Oxford 0.161 mi away
- 2, Nmoor Road 0.171 mi away
- 77, Banbury Road 0.173 mi away
- 16, Winchester Road 0.187 mi away
- 66, Banbury Road 0.194 mi away
- Gee's Restaurant 0.206 mi away
- 13, Bradmore Road 0.219 mi away
- 59, Banbury Road 0.219 mi away
- “ST HUGH'S COLLEGE LODGES AND GATES.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392937>