- 7 Oct 2008
2-4, Charlbury Road designated a Grade II listed building
2-4, Charlbury Road is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- 2-4, CHARLBURY ROAD
- 2-4, CHARLBURY ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 51295 08034
612/0/10164 CHARLBURY ROAD 07-OCT-08 2-4
II BUILDING: pair of semi-detached houses.
DATE: 1908-9 with minor alterations.
ARCHITECT: by Stephen Salter. Built by Henry Wild.
MATERIALS: red brick, part roughcast, with tile-hung gabled wings and dormers. Tall gabled centrepiece has dramatic half-timbering with waved pattern, and pargetting with scrolls, sea-creatures and shell. Plain tile roof with waved bargeboards and brick stacks. White-painted wooden casements with glazing bars.
PLAN: Irregular U-plan
FAÇADE: 1908-9 with minor alterations in the Domestic Revival style, on a symmetrical U-plan, with hipped roof over 2-storey and attic main range, and projecting side wings of 1½ storeys. Catslide roof of main range descends over angles to form porches on wooden posts with shaped brackets and Ionic capitals. Panelled doors with small-pane top glazing. Central gable has partitioned lunette gable with wildly waving half-timbering, and pargetting to suggests the character of a grand gatehouse [the decoration is not shown on Salter's original drawings but the pargetting is very similar in style to the carved ashlar decoration on his gables at Lloyds Bank, Carfax of 1900-1]. Side wings have jetties over ground-floor bays and first-floor oriels; flat-roofed dormers, those to main roof long and narrow, with 4 lights. External alterations include narrow side extension to No.4, and enlargement of rear French doors to same; small extensions to rear, and addition of small garage to side of No...
- 2, Nmoor Road 0.057 mi away
- 7, Linton Road 0.135 mi away
- 1-61, Parktown, Oxford 0.142 mi away
- Letterbox at W End of Crescent Garden, Oxford 0.159 mi away
- 105, Banbury Road 0.180 mi away
- 20, Nmoor Road 0.188 mi away
- 68 and 70, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.193 mi away
- J. R. R. Tolkien House, Oxford 0.199 mi away
- Wolfson College 0.215 mi away
- St Hugh's College Main Building 0.226 mi away
- St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates 0.226 mi away
- 13, Bradmore Road 0.236 mi away
- 89, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.248 mi away
- Lady Margaret Hall, Chapel, Oxford 0.258 mi away
- 121, Banbury Road 0.270 mi away
- “2-4, CHARLBURY ROAD.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392928>