- 7 Oct 2008
1, Belbroughton Road designated a Grade II listed building
1, Belbroughton Road is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- 1, BELBROUGHTON ROAD
- 1, BELBROUGHTON ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 51041 08417
612/0/10156 BELBROUGHTON ROAD 07-OCT-08 1
GV II BUILDING: house
ARCHITECT: Christopher Wright
MATERIALS: Red brick in English bond, forming arcade to front with cement-rendered infill; tall plain tile roof, hipped and steeply pitched, with sprocketted eaves; symmetrical tall brick chimneys with off-set caps.
PLAN: Double pile plan in late C17 style
FACADE:. 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical front has 3 giant brick arches on piers with offset imposts. Rendered walling within arcade is slightly recessed, and articulated with ground-floor piers supporting entablature with white-painted cornice. Cornice is broken by open pediment over central door in white-painted architrave frame. Metal casements with glazing bars: single light flanking cross windows to ground floor outer bays; 3-light to first floor, rising up into curve of arch. Three hipped roof dormers with paired casements and tiled cheeks. Glazed door with wooden glazing bars and single low panel.
INTERIORS: rear and interior not seen.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: flat-roofed garage to right, with brick parapet, plank doors and strap hinges, is part of original design.
HISTORY: the North Oxford suburb evolved from about 1860 on land owned by St. John's College, with the College gradually making available discreet sets of building plots to lease as it sought to ensure a firm financial future for its endowment...
- J. R. R. Tolkien House, Oxford 0.087 mi away
- 121, Banbury Road 0.096 mi away
- 20, Nmoor Road 0.099 mi away
- Somerville House, Oxford 0.112 mi away
- 7, Linton Road 0.157 mi away
- Diamond Cottages 0.245 mi away
- 105, Banbury Road 0.257 mi away
- Stone in Woodstock Road Inside Number 243, Oxford 0.257 mi away
- 2, Nmoor Road 0.273 mi away
- 2-4, Charlbury Road 0.286 mi away
- Wolfson College 0.300 mi away
- St Hugh's College Main Building 0.349 mi away
- St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates 0.349 mi away
- 68 and 70, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.395 mi away
- St Hugh's College Kenyon Building 0.398 mi away
- “1, BELBROUGHTON ROAD.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392925>