- 7 Oct 2008
121, Banbury Road designated a Grade II listed building
121, Banbury Road is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- 121, BANBURY ROAD
- 121, BANBURY ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 50944 08299
612/0/10142 BANBURY ROAD 07-OCT-08 121
II House. 1903. Architect - H.T. Hare
MATERIALS: Red brick in English bond, with darker red flush quoins, pargetted details and stone dressings to entrance; moulded wooden cornice below sprocketted eaves; plain tile roof; brick chimneys, to left of centre and in pairs at either end.
PLAN: A double pile house, of c.1660 style.
FAÇADE: 2 storeys, attic and cellars; 3 bays. Front: symmetrical. Brick outer bays are slightly advanced under shallow hips, and have 4-light wooden casements (ovolo-moulded internally) with gauged brick aprons. Ground-floor windows have moulded wooden cornices and transoms, plain glazed lower metal casements and leaded upper lights. All first-floor and attic windows are leaded. Original downpipes with spirally fluted hoppers, flanked by added later pipes. Centre bay has 4-light dormer with central pediment, extended by 4 lights to left, and rendered upper storey, colourwashed, with pargetted swag and pilasters flanking 4 paired casements. Ground floor is part ashlar, with 3-light leaded stone mullion windows and central stone doorcase with panelled pilasters, scrolled keyblock and open segmental pediment. Part-glazed door. Rear: lower pitch of roof is hipped and projects over 3 canted 2-storey bays. These have pargetted panels between storeys, with blank heraldic shields and flanking drops. Leaded fenestration as to front, the right bays with central Ipswich arches over half-glazed doors...
- 1, Belbroughton Road 0.096 mi away
- J. R. R. Tolkien House, Oxford 0.103 mi away
- 20, Nmoor Road 0.124 mi away
- 7, Linton Road 0.138 mi away
- 105, Banbury Road 0.183 mi away
- Somerville House, Oxford 0.191 mi away
- 2, Nmoor Road 0.239 mi away
- Stone in Woodstock Road Inside Number 243, Oxford 0.243 mi away
- St Hugh's College Main Building 0.270 mi away
- St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates 0.270 mi away
- 2-4, Charlbury Road 0.270 mi away
- St Hugh's College Kenyon Building 0.309 mi away
- Diamond Cottages 0.311 mi away
- 68 and 70, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.331 mi away
- 89, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.348 mi away
- “121, BANBURY ROAD.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392908>