- 7 Oct 2008
105, Banbury Road designated a Grade II listed building
105, Banbury Road is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- 105, BANBURY ROAD
- 105, BANBURY ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 51005 08015
612/0/10140 BANBURY ROAD 07-OCT-08 105
II House. 1886. Architect - William Wilkinson and Harry Wilkinson Moore. Builder - Kingerlee
MATERIALS: Red brick with scalloped tile-hanging to gables and upper storey of service end; stone strings, decorative carvings and window dressings; plain tile roofs with wooden bargeboards; red brick chimneys with offset caps.
PLAN: Irregular rectangle, with main long façade to street.
FAÇADE: Domestic Revival in style, with asymmetrical gables and stone mullion and transom windows to family quarters, and wooden windows to simpler service end. 2 storeys and an attic; 3 bays. Front: advanced bay to left has gable on stone corbels overhanging 3-light attic window, and 2-storey canted bay with carved stone coping to parapet and segmental brick arches over upper windows. Centre also gabled over 2-tier stair window with carved stone panels and elaborate leaded glazing. Projecting porch below has stone doorcase with carved stops, keyblock and oak-leaf frieze, and scrolled stone pediment with carved swag on elongated corbels. To right is service bay with lower floor levels and glazing bars to windows: triple sashes to ground floor; Ipswich window to first floor; tile-hung gabled dormer. Lower 2-storey extension to far right in matching style. Rear has overhanging gables to advanced centre and right, added rectangular bay window to centre, and conservatory to right rebuilt c.1990. South side of house has chimney bay to left with leaded ground-floor windows canted across corners under ogee corbels...
- St Hugh's College Main Building 0.092 mi away
- St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates 0.092 mi away
- 2, Nmoor Road 0.124 mi away
- 7, Linton Road 0.139 mi away
- 68 and 70, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.150 mi away
- St Hugh's College Kenyon Building 0.156 mi away
- 89, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.166 mi away
- 2-4, Charlbury Road 0.180 mi away
- 121, Banbury Road 0.183 mi away
- Letterbox at W End of Crescent Garden, Oxford 0.191 mi away
- J. R. R. Tolkien House, Oxford 0.192 mi away
- 20, Nmoor Road 0.201 mi away
- 72, Woodstock Road, Oxford 0.217 mi away
- 79, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.239 mi away
- 77, Banbury Road 0.253 mi away
- “105, BANBURY ROAD.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1392907>