- 18 May 2007
Sapphire Moon designated a Grade II listed building
Sapphire Moon is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- SAPPHIRE MOON
- SAPPHIRE MOON, 86, HIGH STREET
- South Oxfordshire
- Grid Reference
- SP 70500 06059
1707/0/10010 HIGH STREET 18-MAY-07 86 Sapphire Moon
GV II House with ground-floor shop, probably C17 with later alterations, and late C20 modifications.
MATERIALS: Timber-framed, refronted in brick; plain-tile roof. Modern tile-hung gable wall to right.
PLAN: Small, two-bay, two-storey plus attic, building fronting on to the High Street pavement with later extensions to the rear.
EXTERIOR: Timber-framed building, probably C17, clad with pale pink bricks with darker red bricks to quoins and to window and door edges in later C18 or early C19 when the building line was pushed outward onto the pavement by about 0.5m. The front façade has a large, six-over-three paned shop window (seemingly a C20 replacement) with the front door to its left and to the first floor two 16-paned casements extending upward to the roof line. The gabled attic's conversion for residential use (at unknown date) is indicated by long dormer windows to front (replaced c2000) and rear. To the rear two smaller multi-paned casements are visible at first-floor level; the original ground-floor arrangement is obscured by a single-storey brick extension with catslide roof and a further flat-roofed C20 one.
INTERIOR: To the ground floor two internal transverse beams divide the C17 building into three sections with exposed joists between them. To the front the original corner posts are visible with decorative jowls. First inner transverse beam with chamfers and double-notched stops; supporting wall posts have decorative jowls...
- Jeffways Travel Service Limited, Thame 0.005 mi away
- Mallards 0.007 mi away
- Gibbs Garages Limited; Property Owners Building Society, Thame 0.016 mi away
- The Croft 0.016 mi away
- Croft Cottage, Thame 0.016 mi away
- Flatt and Mead, Estate Agents The Wendy House 0.018 mi away
- 24, High Street 0.019 mi away
- Starbank House 0.019 mi away
- 21, High Street 0.021 mi away
- Lancastrian Cottage, Thame 0.023 mi away
- Peter Fell of Thame 0.024 mi away
- 91 and 92, High Street, Thame 0.026 mi away
- The Baytree 0.027 mi away
- The Rising Sun Public House, Thame 0.027 mi away
- Thame Social Club Limited, Thame 0.033 mi away
- “SAPPHIRE MOON.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1391986>