- 23 Nov 2004
20, Nmoor Road designated a Grade II listed building
20, Nmoor Road is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- 20, NORTHMOOR ROAD
- 20, NORTHMOOR ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 51146 08301
612/0/10108 NORTHMOOR ROAD 23-NOV-04 20
Private house. 1924. Designed by Fred E Openshaw for Basil Blackwell, the owner of Blackwell's Bookshop in Broad Street. During 1930-47 this house was the home of Professor J R R Tolkien.
Roughcast brick with brick plinth, plain tile roof brick stacks. Double pile range, with service end to north. 2 storeys. Wooden mullion windows with leaded casements.
Street front has recessed centre flanked by projecting gabled wings. Plank door to right of recessed centre with 5-light mullion windows on either side. Above a central 3-light window flanked by 4-light windows in the projecting gables.
INTERIOR plan survives unaltered, except for the wall between the former study and drawing room which was removed for Tolkien in order to enlarge the room in which he worked. Original doors, doorhandles and window catches with elaborate heart motif. Open well staircase with wide and narrow splat balusters. Two arched brick fireplaces. Built-in bedroom cupboards and airing cupboard. Built-in meat safe in larder.
This house is listed for its historic importance as the home and workplace of Professor J R R Tolkein from 1930 to 1947. It was in this house that Tolkien wrote the whole of The Hobbit [1930-32, published 1937] and almost all of the Lord of the Rings [1937-49].
- J. R. R. Tolkien House, Oxford 0.021 mi away
- 7, Linton Road 0.069 mi away
- 1, Belbroughton Road 0.099 mi away
- 121, Banbury Road 0.124 mi away
- 2, Nmoor Road 0.183 mi away
- 2-4, Charlbury Road 0.188 mi away
- 105, Banbury Road 0.201 mi away
- Somerville House, Oxford 0.203 mi away
- Wolfson College 0.226 mi away
- St Hugh's College Main Building 0.291 mi away
- St Hugh's College Lodges and Gates 0.291 mi away
- 68 and 70, Banbury Road, Oxford 0.319 mi away
- Letterbox at W End of Crescent Garden, Oxford 0.321 mi away
- 1-61, Parktown, Oxford 0.331 mi away
- Diamond Cottages 0.339 mi away
- “20, NORTHMOOR ROAD.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1391361>