Church of St Michael and All Angels is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
National Heritage List for England Facts
- List Entry ID
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, LONSDALE ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 50848 09264
National Heritage List for England Description
612/0/10077 LONSDALE ROAD 12-JUL-01 Church of St Michael and All Angels
Anglican Church. 1909. Alfred Mardon Mowbray (1849-1915). Coursed ragstone with stone dressings with brick originally temporary west end. Early English style.
PLAN: One bay aisled nave (four bays intended) with two further bays that open to wide and deep transepts to north and south. Deep chancel of three bays, same width as nave flanked by low arcaded aisles to Lady Chapel at southeast and two-level service area to southwest with vestry below and organ loft above reached by stair from north transept.
ELEVATIONS: South: Projecting transept with steeply pitched roof and round quatrefoil above pair of large pointed arch windows each with three quatrefoils above two pairs of lancets framed by stone hood-moulds that step down to meet stone buttresses. Lower Lady Chapel also with buttresses and lancets with hood-moulds arranged in sets of 3. Chancel wall above Lady Chapel has three lancets to each bay. West: Brick with 4 high brick buttresses. North: Projecting transept with windows that match south elevation. Wall to chancel has three high lancets to each bay. East elevation: Large window with cinquefoil at centre top with five lancets below. Lady Chapel separate at exterior. Bellcote over crossing. Stone plaque marked, 'February 11 1909'
INTERIOR: Tall nave and chancel with transepts of almost equal height to the nave that together with the high pointed arch nave arcading with slender stone piers suggests a hall church. Wood, 5-part ceilings throughout with wood ribs to stone wall shafts out of the compound piers. High chancel arch spans the width of the nave. Chancel with shallow steps to altar. At west end, long and low half-arches to aisled bay of nave separating aisle from transepts. Wide arch to Lady Chapel from south transept with 1921 war memorial window to east end set in stone altarpiece with carved angel busts. Stone font.
Listing NGR: SP5084509269