The Prebenbdal

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
662493
Names
The Prebenbdal
Coordinates
51.7517990° N, 0.9845000° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of The Prebenbdal
Location map of The Prebenbdal. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of The Prebenbdal
Aerial view of The Prebenbdal. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

24 Apr 1951

The Prebenbdal designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

The Prebenbdal is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1368778
Grade
II*
Name
THE PREBENBDAL
Location
THE PREBENBDAL, PRIEST END
Parish
Thame
District
South Oxfordshire
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 70196 06388

THAME PRIEST END SP7006SW (North-west side) 8/143 The Prebendal 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as Prebendal (comprising House, Chapel and block to west of Chapel with connecting wall)

GV II*

Prebendal, now house. C13, restored 1836 by H.B. Hodgson for Charles Stone, altered early and mid C20. Uncoursed stone rubble; old plain-tile complex roof; stone chimney stacks. Single-ended hall house plan, with later alterations. 2-storey, 4-bay range. 2-storey gabled porch to right of centre. 4-centred archway with square hood. Re-used C13 doorway inside porch has pointed arch with hollow chamfer and roll moulding. C19 ribbed and studded door. Two 2-light stone mullion and transom hall windows with cusp-topped lights and hood-moulds to left. Stone buttress to left of centre. 3-light stone mullion window to ground floor right. 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to first floor right. 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to first floor of porch. Stone mullion windows to most other openings, some being reset. Interior: C20 stone spiral staircase to rear. Hall drawing room to left has C15 wood ceiling, brought from house in Essex, with beams carved with vine trails. Late C15 French stone fireplace has stone hood on figure corbels. C15 stone hooded fireplace to entrance hall. History: a prebend was established c.1140 by the Bishop of Lincoln. In 1661 it was recorded as being ruinous. Site originally moated, now filled in. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “THE PREBENBDAL.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1368778>